Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2009 00:00

Studio XPS 435 and APC BackUPS XS 900

I just received a new Studio XPS 435T. It's pretty great, except that it doesn't seem to get along with my APC BackUPS XS 900. I installed the APC PowerChute software, and when I attempt to run a test of the UPS from the application, my 435T loses power instead of switching to battery power. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for it?

13 Posts

April 28th, 2009 08:00

I just received a new Studio XPS 435T. It's pretty great, except that it doesn't seem to get along with my APC BackUPS XS 900. I installed the APC PowerChute software, and when I attempt to run a test of the UPS from the application, my 435T loses power instead of switching to battery power. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for it?

I read in another forum that you need a pure sine wave UPS with the Core i7 processors. I purchased an APC Smart UPS for my new XPS 435T this weekend and it has not had the same issues since.  I think for the price, the APC Smart UPS is the way to go.

8 Posts

April 28th, 2009 20:00

I read in another forum that you need a pure sine wave UPS with the Core i7 processors. I purchased an APC Smart UPS for my new XPS 435T this weekend and it has not had the same issues since.  I think for the price, the APC Smart UPS is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to avoid shelling out the $250 or so for the APC model that has a pure sine wave output. I guess the next question is... for very brief power fluctuations or interruptions, is it better to have the machine plugged into a power strip, or into a UPS that has the wrong (stepped sine wave) output? I guess what I'm asking is, is the UPS I have now actually harmful, or just useless?

13 Posts

April 28th, 2009 21:00

I'd say just useless.  It isn't doing any more damage then just plugging it into the wall.  And it is better in that it has some surge/damage suppression.  But in my experience with my own Back UPS 725 it is worthless as a UPS with this system.  it would be nice if Dell were forthcoming with this information.  Though, I would have still purchased the system -- it rocks in every other way!

4 Posts

April 30th, 2009 11:00

I ran into the same problem (started back in March - wish I would have had this insight then!!!!). 

I went back and forth with APC and Dell.  Finally had a tech in my house replacing the power supply (which didn't solve the problem).  Came down to two options.  One, go with a different power supply, or buy a SmartUPS from APC.  The least expensive SmartUPS that would meet the capacity requirements of the 435  was $459.00.  Since I had already upgraded to a Back-UPS 1500 at the recommendation of APC customer support (they thought it was an issue with the 475 watts exceeding the 80% capacity of my Back-UPS 800), I felt like I had given them enough economic stimulus in 2009.  Instead, I did some research and just bought a new 700W power supply for $139.00.  Problem solved. I can run the self-test through PowerChute or unplug the power to the UPS and it switches to power without restarting my 435.

Bottom line is that the switched power supply that comes with the XPS 435T is going to require a pure waveform UPS (server grade) rather than stepped approximation waveform (consumer desktop grade UPS).  I think either approach solves the problem - pay for a SmartUPS with pure waveform or swap out the power supply on the 435T.  The other advantate to the power supply approach was that when I added up all the components in my Dell (configured at purchase), I was nearly at the 475 Watts.  Probably would have been taxing my power supply and shortened its life anyway.

8 Posts

April 30th, 2009 13:00

I went back and forth with APC and Dell.  Finally had a tech in my house replacing the power supply (which didn't solve the problem).  Came down to two options.  One, go with a different power supply, or buy a SmartUPS from APC.  The least expensive SmartUPS that would meet the capacity requirements of the 435  was $459.00.  

According to APC, any SUA-prefixed UPS has the pure sine wave output. So there's not much APC can do here. And as long as the computer PSU has PFC, there's not much Dell can do either. That's fine; I'm completely satisfied so far with the computer, and I didn't expect that everything would be backward-compatible (though I have to admit, I never would have expected the UPS to be the one incompatible part).

The APC SUA750 (Smart UPS 750) is available for $250 or so from newegg with free shipping. The way I figure, PowerChute reports I am supposed to get 32 minutes of battery power with my Back UPS 900. So if I lose 1/6th of that with the 750, big furry deal. So option 1 is a new UPS for $250. Another plus is that my current UPS is 3-4 years old and I'll need a new battery eventually anyway.

As you point out, option 2 is a replacement power supply, a quality example of which (without PFC) can be had for $100-150. I have to assume this violates at least some part of the machine's warranty and I really don't have time to roll my own system. That said, a replacement PSU should be pretty straightforward assuming the wiring all fits.

Finally, option 3 is to plug the computer into a normal surge protector and just deal with brownouts and blackouts. I can't leave it plugged into the battery enabled outlets, since it appears my Back UPS 900 is pretty frisky, and switches to the battery at the slightest power fluctuation (ordinarily a good thing). The plan is to see how this goes before going with option 1 or 2.

Michael

5 Posts

June 11th, 2009 21:00

I'm glad I found this thread. I have my XPS 435T plugged into a relatively new APC Back-UPS ES BE750G (750VA) and have had the computer shut down when we've had brief power disruptions. I ran the PowerChute self-test and the computer cut off like a light when the backup switched over to battery. This thread explains why.

I'm really not liking the idea of sinking $400+ into another UPS, so I'm considering the new power supply option. I've done plenty of work inside cases adding drives, memory, and cards, but have never messed with the power supply; how difficult is it to replace on this system and are there issues to watch out for in terms of compatibility? As far as load, I have the 4670 graphics card, 9 GB RAM, a second hard drive, and a Hauppage TV capture card.

I'm looking at the Enermax Pro82+ 525 or similar MODU82+ 525. The Pro82+ is less expensive, but its manual does not state whether it is compatible with simulated sine wave UPS. The MODU82+ manual does claim compatibility: http://www.enermax.de/fileadmin/enermax/content/produkte/netzteile/modu82/manual_modu82_eng.pdf

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea/option or alternate suggestions would be much appreciated!

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

13 Posts

July 26th, 2009 14:00

I am furious over this whole issue. I just wasted $80 on new batteries for a Belkin UPS that is now useless. I would've gladly applied that money toward a compatible UPS had I known. Grrrrr.

I use my Dell machine for professional video post-production, which sometimes requires rendering projects for several hours. Amidst Midwestern thunderstorms and ice storms, power outages and brownouts are not uncommon, and I rely on UPS protection to keep projects going. I run a very small shop from my home, and $250 for a new, i7-compatible UPS is a big deal.

8 Posts

July 26th, 2009 19:00

I should post a follow-up, as I'm the original poster. Since it became clear that the old UPS wouldn't work, I've been running without one, and haven't had any major issues with power outages. So rather than spend the $200 or more for a pure sine unit, I think my plan is to simply do nothing.

4 Posts

October 25th, 2009 16:00

It was a Thermaltake ToughPower 750W.  I went with the modularized cable management - cost a little bit more but made life easier.  Not all of the screw holes lined up perfectly, but enough of them fit to keep it secure.  I was cautioned about this potentially voiding my warranty, but I haven't had any problems and it certainly fixed my problem.  Good luck.

1 Message

October 25th, 2009 16:00

KevCherv

i know this post is a bit old, but can you tell me what power supply you bought.   Not sure why this took me so long to run in to this issue with the 435T, but I thought my UPS battery was gone.  Of course I went out and bought another APC UPS and of course....same problem.   Well, now I'm not going to buy another UPS but am going to get another power supply.....  can you tell me which one you bought?

Thanks

121 Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Glad I found this thread.  I noticed my new Studio XPS 9000 rebooting when plugged into my Back UPS XS 1300.  Was going to replace it but now not too sure.  Guess I'll run on the surge protection outlet only.  Hate to shell out another $250-$300 for a Smart UPS but sounds like I may have to. 

Live and learn!

9 Posts

January 8th, 2010 10:00

It's actually a very common occurrence, there are a lot of PC's that don't accept the non sinewave UPSs. The Back-UPS XS 1300 are good basic units, but they won't work with any equipment that requires a sine wave. I always knew this but decided to be cheap and buy the Back UPS, had to return it and bought a Smart UPS 1000. I don't have any more interruptions when the unit goes on battery, the switch over time is instantaneous, so there are not hiccups. I think at the end of the day that if the work is important you need to get a Smart UPS rather than the Back-UPS. The Back-UPSs are just not equipped to handle it.

15 Posts

January 13th, 2010 16:00

Mad as a wet hen! Same issue with my 9000 and UPS. What's really frustrating is that I received my new upgraded UPS yesterday at the advice of DELL! The tech suggested that my UPS was not performing well and I should upgrade it.

SO my big question is...

Is a simulated sinwave good enough as in the APC 1000VA or does it really need one of the actual sine wave outputs?

I have a bad circuit at home that drops power regularly. Of course it's where our office and PC is! I get dropouts several times a week.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2010 08:00

Mad as a wet hen! Same issue with my 9000 and UPS. What's really frustrating is that I received my new upgraded UPS yesterday at the advice of DELL! The tech suggested that my UPS was not performing well and I should upgrade it.

SO my big question is...

Is a simulated sinwave good enough as in the APC 1000VA or does it really need one of the actual sine wave outputs?

I have a bad circuit at home that drops power regularly. Of course it's where our office and PC is! I get dropouts several times a week.

You actually need to get yourself a real sinewave unit, a simulated wave or a square wave don't seem to do the job. Stick to the Smart-UPS types of units. They output an actual sine wave. They're much better than the square or simulated wave units.

No Events found!