Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2011 12:00

Studio XPS 435 will not start

The symptoms;

Pressing the power button results in a quick, amber flash of the power button light.  Sometimes this is followed by a short pause and another flash.  Then nothing.

A coinciding 'jog' of all fans accompanies the amber power button light flash.  It's like they get a split second of power and then it stops.

The amber light on the motherboard is lit when the power supply is turned in.

This leads me to believe that the motherboard is getting power and pressing the power button suppllies a momentary supply of power when it is pressed, but for some reason the system immediately shuts down.  Then the system tries a second time after a short pause than gives up.

What I have tried;

I've replaced the motherboard.  During this process all cables were reseated and all RAM chip contacts were cleaned before re-installation.

I've tested the system with a different power supply that I know works.

I've tested the system with a different video card that I know works.

I've tried booting the system with all the drives unplugged.

I've checked to ensure that all front panel plugs (USB, card reader, etc) are dust free and are not shorting.

One day the system was working fine.  No odd noises, no odd behaviour.  Then the next day it simply would not start up.

I'm at the end of my rope here.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2011 13:00

Do you know if there is a way to test this without having to buy (and thus wait for) a new button?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Well, about the only thing you have't replaced is the front power button...

Don't know if you can replace just the button. You may need to buy a new front panel. You can try eBay, and there's always Dell Spare Parts.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

What happens if you press and hold the power button in? Not sure that's a vaild test, but if the PC boots, that tells you something.

But if it does start to boot, you will probably need to hold the button until it gets to the desktop and stops accessing the hard drive. A sudden power loss while it's accessing the drive might cause serious damage.

Alternatively, if you can figure out the wiring on the button, you might be able to by-pass the button temporarily and use a power strip to turn it off after a normal shutdown.  I take zero responsibility if you fry the PC or yourself by-passing the power button.  -Just so we're clear... :emotion-15:

Ron

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2011 14:00

"What happens if you press and hold the power button in?"

I get the same response as when I press and release the button, like normal.

As for bypassing the button, I don't think I want to go that route.  As you say, there might be some unforeseen and/or catastrophic results.

Thanks for the input guys.  I guess at this stage I'm stuck with trying to get a new power button.  Sadly, I forgot the first rule of computer repair.  "If you're not sure, start with the cheapest fix first".

2 Posts

August 28th, 2011 04:00

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem.  I have the same exact thing on my Dell Studio XPS 435 MT.  I was able to get the computer started by shorting together the green and black wires on the main power plug from the power supply to the mother board.  These are the two wires that are shorted when troubleshooting a bad pc power supply.  To summarize:

1)  Shoted green and black power supply wires

2)  Plugged in computer - Fans started up but made a racket

3)  Pressed the power button twice - button light went white, racket stopped, computer started up normally

4)  Removed short between green and black wires

5)  Tested to see if it would start on its own now.  It would not.  Repeating this process will start up my computer.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

5 Posts

August 30th, 2011 10:00

I had the same problem and was able to get my computer to run using the same green/black wire jumper.  ANy idea what needs to be done to fix permanently??

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 30th, 2011 13:00

Check that the front panel cable is properly connected at both ends

Replace that front panel cable?

Repace the front panel?

Ron

5 Posts

August 31st, 2011 05:00

I ordered a new switch on eBay, will try swapping out when I get it.

In the meantime, what is the down side of running the computer with the green and black wires jumped, other than the fact that you can't turn it off without unplugging it?

5 Posts

November 10th, 2011 18:00

I am having the exact same problem.  Did anybody determine what the issue and fix was?

2 Posts

December 1st, 2011 18:00

My problem is a little bit different. When I depress the power button and hold, there is no power at all: no fan, no flickering power light, no clicking, no humming. When plugged in, the power supply green-LED is illuminated and the motherboard amber LED is illuminated. Both lights are steady - no flickering.

In following this thread, someone suggested jumping the green and black wires.

My power supply to motherboard plug adapter has several black wires right next to the green. Which one did you use to jump the connector?

BTW

After contacting Dell about the problem, they told me it was the motherboard. I just replaced the motherboard and the problem still exists.

For the motherboard plug adapter, I've checked each pin and made sure I got 5V DC out of each one. There is one pin, the black wire at the end of the orange-yellow-yellow-black, sequence that measures 0.24V DC. Don't know if that's normal or not.

I've checked the front switch by removing the plug from the motherboard then putting a continuity tester on the brown and black wires on the plug adapter. When I depress the switch, a connection is made so I'm assuming the switch works.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2011 23:00

My father is starting to have this same problem - His last computer had this problem.  (I have also seen this problem on two dell pc's at my work)  I am trying to fix his brand new pc but his old one would boot if i unplugged the power supply and let it sit over night =/

1 Message

February 19th, 2012 15:00

I am getting the exact same problem with the same model of Studio XPS machine. Have you had any luck fixing this?

2 Posts

February 20th, 2012 14:00

I took my Dell into a repair shop. The problem was the power supply - the one pin that wasn't getting the full 5VDC seems to be the lead providing power to the mother board, which in turn would power the drives, ports, and other accessories. Replaced the power supply and am good to go.

No Events found!