pynnonen
1 Copper

Re: Studio XPS Overclocking potential - BIOS upgrade?

I think that Dell intended that the Dell XPS Studio 435MT be the low end (no much expanability, low cost) of the high end (Intel i7 systems). If this low end attacts a lot of buyers at Best Buy with bundled systems, Dell does not want a lot of returns because of overclocking, etc. I think the motherboard with only 1 PCIe 16x slot, and 2 PCIe 1x slot says it all. I agree with Davet50, slim to none for a flexible BIOS, with options for overclocking. I am wondering if I can put 3 GB of the old memory (as one triple channel)  with new 6GB (3x2GB) ( as the second triple channel) and have them work independently with different SPD timings. If not, maybe I will offer my 4x1GB memory up for others to upgrade their 4GB 435MT to 6GB. Why on a i7 system did they offer 4GB (it should be 3GB, 6GB, 9 GB, or 12 GB because of triple channel)? Because adding just one more 1GB to the 3GB makes the Window Experience Index jump.

You are right Davet50. Flexible BIOS? A slim to none chance, but we can hope.

I am not sad I bought this system, I think it was the cheapest i7 system I could buy. To buy the cheapest i7 system, troll the Best Buy ads, buy it with 12 or 18 months with no interest with a Best Buy card. Could I afford a new computer system for $1095? No. Could I afford a new computer for $100 a month for 11 months? Yes

0 Kudos
pynnonen
1 Copper

Why 667 Mhz? 667 Mhz is the I/O Bus Clock. See Below. 

From  Wikipedia "DDR3" chart

JEDEC standard modules

Standard name

Memory clock

Cycle time

I/O Bus clock

Data rate

Module name

Peak transfer rate

DDR3-800

100 MHz

10 ns

400 MHz

 800 MT/s

PC3-6400

 6400 MB/s

DDR3-1066

133 MHz

7.5 ns

533 MHz

1066 MT/s

PC3-8500

 8533 MB/s

DDR3-1333

166 MHz

6 ns

667 MHz

1333 MT/s

PC3-10600

10667 MB/s[1]

DDR3-1600

200 MHz

5 ns

800 MHz

1600 MT/s

PC3-12800

12800 MB/s

I am not a expert on memory timing.

The 435MT supports only DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333. I tried (before reading the manual) DDR3-1600. Does not work.

When I add the 6GB kit (2x3GB) I will post new numbers.

mentor00: CPU-Z is a free download. Try it on your system. Just google it and download it. Thanks for making me look this up. I've learn something new again!

0 Kudos
Dmarco
1 Copper

Yes i understand that the model 435MT is the low end offer for Dell for I7 systems but ....

• first for me that living in Italy is the only choice!!
  • in second i believe that i not requiring the moon,... only more flexibility considering the chipset is pretty young and related firmware will be changed in future for fix some bugs...

emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted

All,

On the Studio XPS 435MT, is there a chance that Dell will be offering a BIOS upgrade that will allow the ability to safely overclock? Will the Dell eventually allow for 24GB?
* No. We do not want to cut into the sales of the Studio XPS 435T 24GB ram or the XPS 630/730 overclocking.

0 Kudos
mentor00
3 Argentium

Thanks pynnonen, that's good info.   I was looking at 730x and outlet 730's.  Most of the computer mags said the basic i7 920 outperformed the 730's so I looked at the studio xps.  It's hard to beat the price versus performance.  I found an outlet model with 12gig ram and the i7 940, 1 ter hard drive, bluray recorder, blutooth, 19 in one card and a wireless n card for just under $1600.  It was only 3 weeks old and in perfect condition.  My wife loves it!

It worked fine before I fixed it![:$]

0 Kudos
truelies
2 Bronze

Guys, so dell doesn't want to upgrade BIOS for overclocking.

I have some questions on the Studio XPS 435MT:

1. Who is the OEM maker of the motherboard of 435MT? Can we download BIOS of this motherboard and put it in? So we can do the overclock.

2. If this is not working, I think we can sell the dell motherboard and buy another board like ASUS P6T

3. Does current BIOS support both 1333M and 1066M ddr3 memory?

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

Guys, so dell doesn't want to upgrade BIOS for overclocking.

I have some questions on the Studio XPS 435MT:

1. Who is the OEM maker of the motherboard of 435MT? Can we download BIOS of this motherboard and put it in? So we can do the overclock.

2. If this is not working, I think we can sell the dell motherboard and buy another board like ASUS P6T

3. Does current BIOS support both 1333M and 1066M ddr3 memory?

1. Most Dell boards are made to Dell specs by Foxcon. No you cannot use a non Dell bios

2.  No Most Dell systems are proprietary and non Dell boards will not fit without extensive modification and forget about trying to find cableing.

3. Yes

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
truelies
2 Bronze

So I can't change the motherboard to ASUS? What did you mean "proprietary", I can't believe that I can't change motherboard+case to get a new system.

0 Kudos
i-vol
3 Argentium

So I can't change the motherboard to ASUS? What did you mean "proprietary", I can't believe that I can't change motherboard+case to get a new system.

Of course you can change the motherboard and case!   Not sure if you meant to say this but it's certainly possible and has been done by a few already, including one person posting within this forum.  

You have to decide if it's worth the cost.  Personally, if you are loaded with at least 6GB of DDR3 in Tri-Channel and your system is up to snuff, then I would leave as is until down the line.  Then, if you want to move to the ASUS X58 or EVGA X58 solution, each with capable BIOS options and the ability to use any of the DDR-3 memory options, you would be free to do so, bringing your parts over from your 435MT.   Also, make sure you add in the cost of a quality PSU.

The i920 is the sweetspot processor for sure, and a great candidate for overclocking, perhaps the most cost effective of the current Core i7 lineup.  In the next year, you will see the prices of the X58 motherboards come down, too.

Still, I dont think it even makes a lot of sense to upgrade to 1333Mhz ram at this stage, unless you were smart and opted for the 3GB option at the very beginning, saving money by moving to higher quality/speed RAM for less than available via Dell.   The cost to peformance increase is not going to be positive at this stage.

Bottom line here is that you couldnt assemble a system yourself for the same cost, especially if you lucked into a great outlet deal.  The PSU is not an issue as currently stocked, even with ATI 4850 and two HDs with another external.   Although I do not game, something to be taking into account, I rarely see over 150w used.  The case fan is certainly one of the issues as it's the main sonic culprit when moving into leaf blower mode.   And it would be nice if Dell had left another fan header to power a FRONT CASE fan to get some better air flow.   With REAL TEMP 3.0, I'm averaging in the low to mid 40s (C) with minimal load, moving into the upper 40s to lower 50s with more load applied.  And the RADEON 4850 is the heat producer, too, probably benefiting from a front case fan directing some air directly on the card. 

The new 435T motherboard seems to be a better option, overall, with more space, 24GB ram capability, more slots for upgrade, fan header for front fan, etc.  I would have definitely waited if I had known this beast was coming out so soon.   Still, the original 435MT is a fine machine.   I find it interesting that Dell went with the standard "stock" i7 CPU cooling for the 435T versus the more aftermarket approach in the MT.  They do get a direct outlet to cool air on the side with that later implementation.

435MT  i7 920 • 6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel • 1.28TB 2x640GB ~ RAID 0 • 1TB WD eSATA|500GB USB
             ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
• 2 x DVD+/-RW • 24" HP w2408h HDMI @ 1920 x 1200
             435MT|435T Manual/Downloads/RAM Info 
•  System Performance Monitoring

0 Kudos
truelies
2 Bronze

I just don't like the limitation dell gives to us. The original 435MT is not balanced in performance.

I already upgraded the PSU to Corsair 550VA, video card to Torx HD4870 512MB, memory to 6gb, HD to 1TB, and sold the old one on ebay.   I will wait for a good deal on motherboard, memory and the case.

0 Kudos