Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2013 18:00

Studio XPS 435MT ... a new life with win8 and GTX 650 1GB DDR5

For any of you looking to revive your 435 try Win8 and a ASUS GeForce GTX 650 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Video Card. You can even keep your 360w power supply as this card outperforms the OEM Radoen HD 4850 and sips about 40w less power.

Win 8 set me back $15, and the GeForce can be had for about $125. For the first time i can run those Dell Video testing routines without stuttering. I haven’t bothered to overclock it yet but it comes with software that will easily change voltages, clocks etc.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 26th, 2014 18:00

I'm running 7 at the moment.  Was wondering if upgrading to 8 would make a big improvement.

Thanks for the tips!

I would recommend skipping Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 will be released soon. You can try out its technical preview:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 26th, 2014 19:00

You know what kills Windows 7 is all the updates that need to loaded every week.  I just installed Windows 7 on a Dell N4010 laptop and it had over 100 updates to load. With an anti-virus, anti-malware programs and programs added, it ran like a library rate package. Even with 8gb of ram, it was slow.

I bought a 10000 rpm WD Velociraptor hard drive for my game computer and it's pretty good. I was thinking of adding one (or an ssd) to the 435 to speed it up but I just might retire it. X58 Chipset gets pretty hot and I've already got fan on it. It'll be 6 years old in Febuary, 2015. Bud, even though I replaced and changed nearly everything (for the sake of multi-player gaming), the 435's been a good, fun machine for me. 

The WSUS Offline Update helps:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Theres a huge number of updates and Windows 7 was long overdue its second service pack. Likely eventually Windows 8.1 will have the same issues, Microsoft released the Windows Media Creation Tool which has a Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso which helps out a lot with its installation. 

63 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 16:00

? I like this. Well, suprise me! I gotta take a closer look. Thanks!

February 7th, 2015 15:00

Wondering if a GTX 970 mini will fit in the 435mt and work well? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121912&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-121-912-_-Product

Specs I'm seeing show it's 1/2" taller and a couple inches shorter than the GTX 560 I have in now. Hmm... tempting!

67 Posts

October 12th, 2016 08:00

My Dell XPS435MT is about to complete 7.5 years soon and i have no intentions to replace it with a new desktop.

I am not a heavy user and use it just for the normal browsing, some music and recently with some gaming.

The only real issue I have had with this desktop is the graphics card.

The default AMD 4850 (I think) died in the 3rd or 4th year. Then I moved to some XFX card which also died off within a year (luckily I got a refund on that one).

After this I stopped gaming (NFS rivals was the only thing I have ever played on this computer). Now that my kid has grown up, NFS is back on the computer.

I fear if my Sapphire HD 6700 series card will also overheat. So, I have kept a huge fan next to the case (with the side opened up). It brings down the temperatures by around 10-15 degrees right-away. But the problem is the high noise that it introduces.

So, I am looking for a more efficient cooling system for this machine. I have no intention to replace the PSU or the case.

I liked the idea of SilenX IXN-40C Copper Chipset Cooler and EVERCOOL SB-F1 Case Cooling Fan

Do these fit properly in the default 435MT case?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 12th, 2016 12:00

PCI SLOT FANS work best in this configuration.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119065

63 Posts

October 12th, 2016 15:00

Regarding the SilenX IXN-40C. Did it  fit properly? Yes and no. I recall I had to find screws long enough to drive through the fan holes and slightly bend the fan mounts. Not a biggie but I had to get by a huge heatsink and fan installed on the cpu. I removed it to install the SilenX IXN-40C. It's worth the trouble. It doesn't matter if the two heatsinks are touching. If I recall, the Silenx IXN-40C comes with a fan that's the same size as the EverCool. Cooling was a huge 25f/30f difference. It was pretty amazing. I routed the wires to the back case fan.

I  think I wrote a product review in Amazon back in Nov. Dec. '12. I remember it was cheap, something like $15.00. If you find one, buy it.

A good idea if installing a bigger video card is to get a bigger psu. I'd get a 600w psu or larger for larger, newer cards. Computers run better, run cooler with a lot of power headroom. Getting enough power matters because the little  oem 350w psu is really cr4p. Many people say, "Well it's working for me and I have no problem". The oem 350w psu isn't made to handle anything above the range of it's original specs. The larger, newer video cards force the psu to work harder, generating a lot of heat going beyond it's original specifications.

My last game computer, I bought an R9 390x video card and the 'minimum' recommended wattage was 750w.  I said, "You gotta be kidding."  That's a lot of wattage. In 'Tom's Hardware', guys were recommending  500w is fine. "It only uses 300 watts". But they don't mention power spikes and huge graphic draws required by some games, like Battlefield 2-4, Crysis or Call of Duty series etc.

It might be fine to power less graphical programs and games or make YouTube or the desk top better. But for newer, bigger games, drawing 40/60 frames per second (fps) and spiking to 80+ is a huge draw. My psu heated the whole room for the winter and finally began to black screen and die. I got an 850 psu to fix the problem.

A 120mm fan will fit in the lower front of the Studio XPS 435mt case. Some case holes line up to secure it. The last video card installed in the 435mt was an XFX HD 7850 2gb (not DD) . It'll fit and just needs the fan shroud removed to get passed the front panel I/O on the motherboard. I got the tip on doing it from another Dell Forums thread, lol. It also has a 650w SeaSonic psu.

I heard of larger HD 7950 3gb being installed with modified fans. You'll need to move up to 750w psu. EVGA makes big, cool, cheap psu. Get a 650w gold for under $100.00

I retired 435mt last year but it's still under my desk as an archive measure and spare computer, lol.

63 Posts

October 12th, 2016 15:00

Lol. I got one of those, too.

63 Posts

October 12th, 2016 16:00

In making reference to 'My last game computer', it's not a 435mt. It's a 3770k ivy bridge.

63 Posts

October 12th, 2016 19:00

@SpeedStep. Yeah, I got one of those pci slot fans inside my 435mt, too. And they work.

67 Posts

October 15th, 2016 23:00

So, as I understand so far, EVERCOOL SB-F1 is for cooling the graphics card. Under normal browsing conditions, my 6750 GPU is at 50 deg. C.

My TMPIN0 is at 80 deg. C and I really want to get that temperature down.

I see that SilenX IXN-40C is a good option but sourcing it in my country may be challenging.

I also see some other interesting products for the NorthBridge cooling and I wonder if there is enough space to install any of those.

Enzo Tech Low Profile 40x40x13.8mm Pure Copper Northbridge Cooler (SLF-40mm)

Evercool NCA-610EA North Bridge Heatpipe Chipset Cooler with 3 pin connector

Do I have to remove the default heatsinks which come with 435MT?

No Events found!