kjcaudle
1 Nickel

RE: Studio XPS 435MT ... a new life with win8 and GTX 650 1GB DDR5

BTW my original 435 had Vista installed .... flipping to win 8.1 had a HUGE impact on stability, startup times etc etc.

0 Kudos
T Hutchems
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply. Yep, my psu puked out on me after a couple of years. Put in an Antec 550w and she's running great. Just would like to speed her up a little. Trying to decide on a newer i7 processor, upgrade to 8GB of RAM from 6, a better graphics card and a bigger case.

So, Windows 8.1 sped things up for you?

0 Kudos
kjcaudle
1 Nickel

yes .... win8,1 was a big improvement...... your not running vista are you? .... if so dump it.  If your running win7 don't bother changing. In win8.1 just bypass "Metro" and go straight in "Desktop" .... then it works 90% like vista/win7.

If your switching cases i would do an OS switch after you get it back up and running  ... simpler that way. Microsoft has a simple download you can run beforehand to see if your present OS is upgradable to win8 .... look into that. 

0 Kudos
T Hutchems
1 Copper

I'm running 7 at the moment.  Was wondering if upgrading to 8 would make a big improvement.

Thanks for the tips!

0 Kudos
Wreks
1 Nickel

Support for Windows 7 ends next year. Maybe in June. so it's not a bad idea to install Windows 8. They are coming out with Windows 9 (or 10) later next year, too. If you're using Window 7, there's a rumor the new Windows incorporates the best of Windows 7 & 8, if you don't mind waiting a while.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

I'm running 7 at the moment.  Was wondering if upgrading to 8 would make a big improvement.

Thanks for the tips!

I would recommend skipping Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 will be released soon. You can try out its technical preview:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Wreks
1 Nickel

You know what kills Windows 7 is all the updates that need to loaded every week.  I just installed Windows 7 on a Dell N4010 laptop and it had over 100 updates to load. With an anti-virus, anti-malware programs and programs added, it ran like a library rate package. Even with 8gb of ram, it was slow.

I bought a 10000 rpm WD Velociraptor hard drive for my game computer and it's pretty good. I was thinking of adding one (or an ssd) to the 435 to speed it up but I just might retire it. X58 Chipset gets pretty hot and I've already got fan on it. It'll be 6 years old in Febuary, 2015. Bud, even though I replaced and changed nearly everything (for the sake of multi-player gaming), the 435's been a good, fun machine for me. 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

You know what kills Windows 7 is all the updates that need to loaded every week.  I just installed Windows 7 on a Dell N4010 laptop and it had over 100 updates to load. With an anti-virus, anti-malware programs and programs added, it ran like a library rate package. Even with 8gb of ram, it was slow.

I bought a 10000 rpm WD Velociraptor hard drive for my game computer and it's pretty good. I was thinking of adding one (or an ssd) to the 435 to speed it up but I just might retire it. X58 Chipset gets pretty hot and I've already got fan on it. It'll be 6 years old in Febuary, 2015. Bud, even though I replaced and changed nearly everything (for the sake of multi-player gaming), the 435's been a good, fun machine for me. 

The WSUS Offline Update helps:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Theres a huge number of updates and Windows 7 was long overdue its second service pack. Likely eventually Windows 8.1 will have the same issues, Microsoft released the Windows Media Creation Tool which has a Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso which helps out a lot with its installation. 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
Wreks
1 Nickel

? I like this. Well, suprise me! I gotta take a closer look. Thanks!

0 Kudos
hawkmultimedia
1 Nickel

Wondering if a GTX 970 mini will fit in the 435mt and work well? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121912&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-121-912-_-Product

Specs I'm seeing show it's 1/2" taller and a couple inches shorter than the GTX 560 I have in now. Hmm... tempting!

0 Kudos