krashlog
1 Copper

Re: Studio XPS 435MT - problem with fan

Hi oc1,

Have you tried pushing the load on the processors? How's the temperature and the noise? Keep us updated...

I'm looking for a solution to quiet down the 435MT, and the Nexus fan seems like a good solution, if it can keep the cores cool.

Thanks.

BianchiBoy
1 Nickel

It's also the middle of winter (Northern Hemisphere anyway), so what's it going to be like at the height of summer ?

polarys
1 Copper

Has anyone determined yet what is actually causing the noise in the system?  It seems to me that if the system is quiet at idle and noisy under load, that it's more likely either a loud power supply or a loud CPU fan (or maybe even video card), because those fans are typically variable speed based on temperature.  Case fans are usually single-speed so if they were noisy, then the system would always be loud - not just under load.

I've ordered this system and since I'd like to use an existing Geforce 8800GTS I'm going to put in a beefier power supply (the Antec Earthwatts 500W).  It would be nice to know if I should also be ordering a quieter CPU fan and/or case fans, too.

0 Kudos
oc1
1 Nickel

For me, it was the case fan, plain and simple. I could tell that just by looking at the back of the case and putting my ear close to it. Now whether the noise was the mounting or the fan, I'm not sure. The Nexus fan I installed came with a rubbery mounting system that could also attribute to how quiet the system now is. I didn't have any problems with the original fan changing its speed at times and getting louder. It was loud from the moment you turned on the PC to the time you turned it off. The noise was consistent and very even.

LANCORP
2 Iron

I have two separate fan problems.  One, the rear case fan makes a continuous noise.  I verified it was the rear case fan by stopping the fan.   The noise is constant and would require replacing the fan.

Second, I have the problem with the fan(s) going full blast for no reason.  To watch what is going on, I installed HWMONITOR and watched the fan speeds, core temps, and other monitors.

At least once every five minutes, for no reason, BOTH fan 0 and fan 1 (CPU and REAR CASE) go from about 1300-1500RPM to almost 4000RPM.

Very disturbing.  CPU utilization is not a factor, nor is core temps.  Nothing seems to trigger it.  It happens duriing idle, or when web browsing, etc.

It will stay at the high fan speed for anywhere from 3-10 seconds, then slow back down to normal.

I obviously cannot live with that noise.  I've updated the BIOS, and no change.  Back to Dell, I'm afraid.

Tags (1)
krashlog
1 Copper

This is very disturbing news...

Have you contacted Dell support about those issues?

I'd just like to know what is their official stance on this problem... or if they acknowledge it at all.

polarys
1 Copper

Interesting - I've had my system now for a few days and the ONLY time I've heard the fans rev up to full is immediately after turning on the power, for about 1-2 seconds.  I assume this is a normal part of bootup.  Other than that, it's perfectly fine - no problems with fan noise.  Sitting at idle, playing a game like TF2, or even after running Prime95 for 5-10 minutes at full blast I cannot get the fans to spin up to full speed.  Temperature at the CPU is reported at 41C at full load.

I wonder if maybe it's a problem with only certain systems?  Perhaps a bad connection between the CPU heatsink and the CPU?  If it helps, here's the info I got from my system using CPU-Z:

CPU-Z 1.49 report file

Processor(s)  
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 4 per processor
Number of threads 8 per processor
Name Intel Core i7 920
Code Name Bloomfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Package Socket 1366 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping 6.A.4
Extended Family/Model 6.1A
Core Stepping C0/C1
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 2792.9 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 21.0 x 133.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 2394.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2666 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 4 x 32 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 4 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache (per processor) 8 MBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory  
Northbridge Intel X58 rev. 12
Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 6144 MBytes
Memory Frequency 532.0 MHz (2:8)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
System  
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Name Studio XPS 435MT
System S/N *******
Mainboard Vendor Dell Inc.
Mainboard Model 0R849J
BIOS Vendor Dell Inc.
BIOS Version 1.0.2
BIOS Date 11/14/2008
Memory SPD  
Module 1 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Module 2 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Module 3 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Module 4 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Module 5 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Module 6 DDR3, PC3-8500F (533 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Elpida
Software  
Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
DirectX Version 10.0

kcool70, oc1, bryanwxup, LANCORP,

I need the following data sent to me in a private message -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Service tag number:
Reason: XPS 435MT Loud 92mmX25mm 12V Fan, part Y841G. Have you already replaced our fan? (Y/N)
LANCORP
2 Iron

Chris, with this new forum software (new to me!), I didn't see how to do a PM, so I chose "start a conversation"...is that right, and did you get it? 

Thanks.

kcool70,
Please send me those service tags in a private message.

bryanwxup,
After installing some apps, a few Windows updates and a few reboots, now the fans are relatively quiet (but still noisy overall).
* What apps?