Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2009 03:00

Studio XPS 435T / 9000 - is it the same motherboard, do they support both ATI Radeon and nVidia GTX ?

Thanks for clicking,

I have a few questions.

1. I think that the Studio XPS 435T and the Studio XPS 9000 (recently re-named from 435 ?) have the same Motherboard ?  Is this true ?

2. I noticed that some of these models come with nVidia GTS/GTX graphics cards while others come with ATI Radeon 4850/70, my questions is this: if I buy say a XPS 435t with a ATI card can i remove switch it and install a GTX 260, and how do i know if it's the new one with the 55 nm instead of 65 nm process on the chip ?

3. If i installed a bigger power supply could i then install a nVidia GTX 295 or 280/285 ?

sidenote: I won't ever need dual graphics cards because i don't play games just music, video and some graphics work (perhaps).

4. I would also like to know if i can install a pci to firewire 800 card on either of these computers (which i think are the same motherboard - xps 435 / 9000) ?

5. and if i install a firewire 800 card will it absolutely perform up to firewire 800 capacity as it would on a mac ? ... or would the fact that it's installed in pci and not pci-e slow down the performance somewhat ? ... or are there other factors to consider when using a firewire 800 card in a pci slot.

*I actually heard there where more problems with pci-e to firewire then with pci - but that was some guy at the computer store.

thanks for any help, i'm not an expert by any means and I would like to know my options ahead of time, thanks.

100 Posts

September 24th, 2009 08:00

Anybody know who makes the XPS 9000 motherboard?  I saw that HP's i7 system has an ASUS motherboard, so I was wondering who makes the one for Dell...

21 Posts

September 27th, 2009 12:00

In the past Dell has used Foxcon but I am not for sure about the XPS 9000. Maybe someone else can answer our question? I would like to know myself.

268 Posts

September 28th, 2009 08:00

The 9000 is simply a rename. Its exactly the same machine, except for the optional graphics cards, as the 435T.

If you don't game, I'm wondering why you considering a costly upgrade to the graphics card. The base graphics card is perfectly fine for any common mulitmedia (including hardware assisted Blu-Ray video), photo or video editing software. Only a handful of non-game applications have started making use of the powerful GPU's via APIs such as CUDA. So unless you are a big user of one or more of these apps, you won't be able to benefit from the expenditure. Worse, your machine will generate more heat and noise. The 9000/435T is AMAZINGLY quiet with the base video. My 435T is twice as loud (but still quiet compared with my previous machine) after I installed a more powerful graphics card for gaming.

I don't have any input regarding Firewire 800 as I don't have any experience with this.

Masi_GC

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 11th, 2009 10:00

Dell uses Foxconn, MiTAC and Pegatron (what used to be ASUS, now spun off) as contractors for the boards in its desktop systems.

21 Posts

October 11th, 2009 10:00

We still do not have an answer to what motherboard is used in the 435T/9000 machine. I would greatly like to know, it kind of resembles an Asus board, but not sure?

2 Posts

October 15th, 2009 00:00

Thanks everyone for the replies.

To the above poster: so are you saying that for the same model systems, they could be shipped with different motherboards depending on who Dell is contracting with at that particular time ?

I feel Dell should disclose this info and let people know about any proprietary modifications made that could effect upgrades.

As far as the video cards, well I plan to do some graphics work at some point, but for right now you're probably right i don't need the gtx 295...however regarding heat, I heard that one of the cards offered with the xps435t is the 4870 which runs hot, hotter then the newer and slightly more expensive radeon 4890 which is the one i was looking at, apparently supposed to run a bit cooler.

I would also like to know if the Xps435T/9000 will ever be able to use the faster speed ram that is becoming available like the 1333 and 1600 stuff rather then the 1066 which is basically not much better then 800, or so i've heard.

21 Posts

October 21st, 2009 21:00

I was able to run Patriot Viper PC3-1066 1333 MHz. without any problems. The problems I ran into was bad motherboard and hard drive problems. I turned it back to dell and  I am working on going to the Alienware system. I think the 435T is a good system I just got a lemon which can happen. Just me saying!!! Go as fast as you can afford on the video card.  Dell does give you a good price on video. If you don't believe me look at  the same card on line? Good luck with your build.

45 Posts

August 30th, 2010 01:00

My XPS 435T does have a Foxconn board in it. I found some small stickers on the board with the name on them. It also came with a ATI 5450 video card. Seems they put anything in them that could be had.

No Events found!