Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2012 06:00

Studio XPS 8000 freezing / locking up

Hi

Sorry to start this one again. Please note that I am at sea when it comes to techno babble, so if anyone replies to this - please use small, easy to understand words...!

My machine is freezing / locking up. I have run the relevant diagnostics, taken it to a techie who has replaced the thermal paste stuff, cleaned it, tried replacing the graphics card (the machine rejected the one he tried; another effort soon), checked the temps, checked the fans, checked for malware and viruses, checked the software and NOTHING appears to be wrong, yet the machine still freezes.

The warranty is of course just out.

As my home and business depend on this machine I am not at all happy. I cannot as yet afford to replace it. Does anyone out there have a fix that is more permanent than taking the side panel off and pointing a fan at it and hoping (although at least I can understand that)?

When I do replace the machine, I am not at all sure I'll replace it with a Dell (just in case anyone at Dell ever reads these, let alone takes any interest in it). 

Help please

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 18:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

What is your operating system? Will it freeze randomly? or with a specific application running? Did it shut down before due to overheating?

Few troubleshooting steps ;

- Try logging on to safe mode, restart the computer, on Dell Logo, keep tapping F8. Then choose safe mode, in safe mode images are bigger. Then test and use the computer within safe mode see if it freezes. If yes, it is a hardware problem. If no, it is an operating system problem.

- Diagnostics alone will not isolate if hardware is fine. If you have more than 1 Stick or Memory, try removing the 2nd stick then just use one. Then observe. If no go, swap the memory then observe again.

- Remove the video card, and just use the integrated graphics. Then Observe.

If in step 1, safe mode will not freeze, you can reinstall the operating system here is the link for instructions ;

http://dell.to/MoIWwC (Reinstallation will wipe all files, back up first before doing this)

Let me know of the results,

1 Message

June 28th, 2015 12:00

This is a new system, only a couple of months old.  No new hardware installed, no malware, no viruses and no heavy game playing.  No visible dust bunnies. Is shutting down and freezing on idle time with only a browser loaded.  Will not reboot on boot disk.  Will re-boot after about 1/2 hour after cool down.  When trying to re-boot immediately there is one bios beep.

2 Posts

June 29th, 2015 12:00

Sorry - believe it or not but I have only just seen this! I followed the steps indicated with no luck. It appears to have been a  hardware issue. I still have the machine and would like to get it going again. Any ideas?

No Events found!