Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2010 19:00

Studio XPS 8100 19-in-1 Card Reader - Not Working

From Googling and I guess 'Delling', I've come to realize this post may be all in vain, as it seems to be an on-going problem with Dell. But I thought I would give it a go, any-way. Surely by now (And on one of their best XPS bases) they have found a fix for this problem.

As what seems to be the go with all of the card reader problems people have encountered - Mine simply doesn't work. The PC arrived yesterday. I set it up, installed everything and it is working 110% perfectly. The CD Drives, USB's, everything work. But from the start, the 19-in-1 Media Card Reader (Internal one) -- Doesn't work.

It doesn't read any CF, SD, SDHC I put in. There isn't any icons or drive letters in 'Computer', nothing. The cards I am trying are either 4GB or 8GB cards - Sandisk, too; one of the best. I'm a Photographer, so I have about 20 of them - So no, it isn't just the individual card that is corrupted or "damaged" or whatever. I'm quite positive it is Internal Reader.

Anyway.. Any fixes for this problem yet? Any troubleshooting I can go through? Or have most just learnt to "DELL with it"? Excuse the pun. Is there any-way I can take out the internal card reader that is in there and simply buy another, install it and have it work that way? I'm game for anything.

For what it is worth - The computer itself is amazing!

Thanks for any help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2011 06:00

Hi 423piggyboy,

I haven't had any problems but have you tried reinstalling the drivers? If you're not familiar with the Dell Support site, just click Support (above), then Downloads, then you identify your system and OS and the drivers for your system will be listed. I suggest you NOT use the Dell download thing.

1 Message

February 11th, 2011 06:00

Same deal here.8100 xps 1 month old   . Tried everything! Drivers,  unplugging hard to get to plug, System restore, Ive been about to pull my hair out. Mine shows up when I push it in. and under computer it shows sd-mini-MMC/RS  (F:). Then I click on it and it says please insert card. And the top of the screen there's a green bar like something is happening. HELP!!!

2 Posts

March 7th, 2012 08:00

I've run into the same problem, but have not been able to identify drivers for the card reader.  The Dell download site did not give any detail on what set was needed for the unit.  Googling it did not help either.  Tried also the Foxconn site, on a hunch that it was made by them.  Nothing definitive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 7th, 2012 17:00

Hi Bthicke,

I'd like to help but I need the model and OS of your Dell.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Osprey for the offer.  I did manage to find a set of Foxconn drivers for the Studio 8100 that did solve the problem on that unit.  Ironically (or coincidentally!)  the issue also exists on a Dell 560 running Win7 Home Premium (64bit).  The Foxconn solution was not effective on the 560.  From visual examination, the 560 seems to have a different physically designed card reader.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2012 16:00

Do you see any problems in device manager? That would be where a driver problem would show up.

No Events found!