Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2011 08:00

Studio XPS 8100 Bios Upgrade

Hi,

Went into my Bios and the latest version was A05 installed on 7/08/10, the current version is from 11/18/10.  Can you tell me if this is necessary to install and if so how do I go about it.  I want to do this correctly as to not disable my system

Thanks,

Ken

14.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 08:00

Warning: A bad bios update can render your system unusable.

Are you having any issues with your present bios and if so, does the latest bios address these issues or has fixes that you require?

If the answer is no then don't update just for updating sake.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 14:00

If it is still under warranty (which I would assume it probably is), go ahead and update.  Dell will replace the motherboard if the BIOS goes bad and the system is no longer usable.  Bad BIOS flashes do happen, but they are extremely rare.  If it is not under warranty, then you need to measure what the update offers against the unlikely possibility of losing your systemboard functionality.

The release notes for this A05 says:

"Update CPU microcode for launching INTEL new stepping CPU."

So, if you don't plan on upgrading your processor to a later model, then you don't need the update anyway. 

16 Posts

January 5th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  Everything seems to work ok so I think I will just leave it be.  This is a brand new system, got it about  a week ago but the book recommends updating the Bios

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2011 12:00

It's a good idea to at least be aware of updates for your computer, as they not only contain code valuable for upgrading hardware/software, but often contain fixes for bugs in the hardware.  For sure, upgrade all system firmware (including BIOS) before the system goes out of warranty.  Whether you keep it, sell it, or give it away, you could be doing yourself or someone else a favor.  That way, if it does go wrong, then Dell can get it replaced before it's out of warranty.

34 Posts

January 6th, 2011 13:00

Thanks!  It's A05 installed 7/8/10, same as the OP.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Boot to the BIOS Setup (F2) and it will list the BIOS version at the top.

34 Posts

I got my XPS 8100 on 11/18/10.  Had some issues and was running diagnostics and could swear that I saw A04 listed.  With the release date of A05, I must have a the older version.  I tried to install A05, it said that A05 is either older or the same as what I have but showed both the file and the current as being A05.

Where exactly in the BIOS is the version and install date listed?

14.4K Posts

Just look in System Information (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system information) and you'll see the bios version and date.

No Events found!