Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2016 13:00

Studio XPS 8100 Internet Connectivity Problem

Replaced my HDD and after re-installing Win 7 Pro 64 from DVD, I'm unable to connect to my Comcast Cable Modem via Cat 5 cabling - 2 different runs.  The one error I get is "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.  If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."  As far as I can tell I do not have a network adapter nor can I find any such drivers for this computer.  Before the re-install of HDD and Win 7, the little icon in the bottom right tray was red-xed out, but I was still connecting to the internet.  

Even tried starting in Safe Mode with Networking, still no connection.  The only thing loaded on the computer is the OS.

Thanks in advance, for any insight!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 19th, 2016 18:00

Whether you're trying to connect to your modem wired or wirelessly, you need a driver for the network adapter(s).

For the onboard Ethernet (wired) you need this driver.

Depending on which WiFi card you have (assuming you have one), it could be either this one or this one. Check your system config paperwork to find out which one you need or use your Service Tag on the Support page to find the right drivers,  though it sometimes misses some drivers when you search by Service Tag.

And, you should have installed the two Intel chipset drivers, here and then here, as the first two drivers installed after loading Win 7. Without the chipset drivers, other drivers may not install or may not work.

Other drivers you need are for video, audio, and Intel Rapid Storage Technology

May 20th, 2016 07:00

Ron,

I was so giddy over the fact that the Ethernet Controller driver worked that I failed to comprehend the rest of your advice.  It was a long day!  I'm working on the rest of it now.

Thanks,

Creech

May 19th, 2016 18:00

I've determined that the "Ethernet Controller" needs updates for these two drivers:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1692&SUBSYS

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1692&CC_0200

The "PCI Simple Communications Controller" requires updates to:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&SUBSYS_040D1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&CC_0780

The problem is that the computer requiring the updates has no internet connection.  So, everything has to be manually done.

May 20th, 2016 07:00

Ron,

The Driver you provided for the "Ethernet Controller" worked and gave me access to the internet.  I'm in to update 143 of 224 for the OS.  Thanks SO MUCH!  Saved my computer from the Recycling Bin!

I posted the devices that needed updated drivers before I received your response, but due to Forum review, they didn't appear until after your response.  You took care of the first one, so the question is do you have a driver for the second device, the "PCI Simple Communications Controller"?  The loaded drivers for it are

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&SUBSYS_040D1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&CC_0780

Again,

Thanks so much for the Ethernet Controller updated driver!!

Creech

May 20th, 2016 11:00

Ron,

The other two drivers loaded and everything seems to be working beautifully!

Thanks again!

Creech

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 20th, 2016 11:00

No Events found!