Solved!

Go to Solution

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 31st, 2010 13:00

Studio XPS 8100 Realtek ALC887 Integrated Audio - weird skipping/jittery sound

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I seem to still have a weird issue with audio. When I play something with audio (movie/music) regardless of program used to play, I get a weird skipping sound, or jittery sound every few seconds. It only lasts about half a second, but it’s enough to annoy you. Upon reboot the problem clears for about a day. Troubleshooting performed is uninstalling the driver, and reinstalling the Dell driver. Last night I went to Realtek.com.tw and grabbed the latest drivers from the manufacturer since they were newer than Dell’s version. I am waiting to see how this works out as it takes about a day for it to show up. In Control Panel- Sound, the Realtek High Definition shows under Speakers. The ATI DP Output is greyed out so that should not be causing an audio conflict.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

April 12th, 2010 21:00

Hi

Hi the s/w roxio can be uninstalled but the dell data safe local backup s/w is a OEM bulit in s/w will not be able to uninstalled it, Only way to removed it is to do a clean os installing in the system just by deleting it from the startup or programs files will not remove it. [ just check in c:\program files\dell datasafe local backup - you will find the folder].  If you find the folder try to update by executing the file name dsupdate.exe

~ Ratz

Hi Ratz, 

Thanks for the input.  I went ahead and uninstalled Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning for good measure.  But I can't find Dell Datasafe anywhere on my computer.  Check out the screenshots.  And none of the folders that start with "Dell" contains the DSupdate.exe file we're looking for.

Thanks!

Bo

2 Posts

April 12th, 2010 23:00

I don't work for Dell, but I don't think you can blame them for a software failure/incompatibility with Roxio or Data Safe (which Dell re-brands from somebody else).

The issues with Roxio Burn and Data Safe are listed in a Dell technical bulletin so they're aware of the problems and recommended fixes. I agree with Ratz. Try the software updates first. If you replace the motherboard and still have the problem, you'll only end up trying the software updates anyway.

Besides, there are other things which can cause audio issues, and not just on Dell PCs. Audio issues may be caused by a defective video card or an incompatible/corrupted video driver. If the video card is using lots of DPCs (delayed procedure calls) that can affect audio quality too. If it's hardware, then the card needs to be replaced, otherwise a driver update might fix it.

These things aren't uncommon when there's  a newly released OS in the mix... :emotion-7:

Ron

In my case, I did a clean install of Windows 7 as soon as I got the computer, so the Roxio Burn and Data Safe would not be factors.  I'll see how this first fix plays out for a while.  If the skipping comes back, i'll try your suggestion to change video card drivers.

April 14th, 2010 10:00

Well, it's been over a day since I uninstalled Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning and the issue has not resurfaced yet.  Let's hope my luck holds . . .

April 15th, 2010 23:00

OK, it's been a couple of days now and no crackling.  Uninstalling the Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning seemed to have fixed problem!

Quite a weird fix.  I wonder how it works.

April 18th, 2010 13:00

Nevermind, the popping sound is back.

Looks like the Roxio fix only delay the problem from resurfacing, but does not eliminated it.

34 Posts

April 18th, 2010 14:00

Before replacing any parts in the system try a clean reinstallation of the OS and check this might help out.

~ Ratz

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 18th, 2010 18:00

Contact Dell Tech Support since this system should be under warranty. Ask if there are any tech bulletins about this issue...

Ron

April 18th, 2010 19:00

Before replacing any parts in the system try a clean reinstallation of the OS and check this might help out.

~ Ratz

Hey Ratz, I decided to just reboot if the popping noise comes back.  After uninstalling Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning, the noise didn't come back until about 5 days of uptime, and even then, it's not as obtrusive as before.  I will probably do a clean reinstall sometime in the summer when I have a bit more free time.  Thanks so much for all your input!

April 18th, 2010 19:00

Is there any way for me to access the tech bulletins?  The last tech I talked to had me update the Audio Drivers and when that didn't work, he scheduled a motherboard replacement for me.

5 Posts

April 21st, 2010 00:00

The solution to this for me was to download the OEM drivers for our card from Realtek (more up to date than Dells' as well).  To do this, visit:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Or if the link is not working, go to: HOME > Downloads > Computer Peripheral ICs > PC Audio Codecs > High Definition Audio Codecs > Software

I am running Windows 7 64bit for reference and this solved all audio problems.

Good luck!

-Adam

April 21st, 2010 07:00

The solution to this for me was to download the OEM drivers for our card from Realtek (more up to date than Dells' as well).  To do this, visit:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Or if the link is not working, go to: HOME > Downloads > Computer Peripheral ICs > PC Audio Codecs > High Definition Audio Codecs > Software

I am running Windows 7 64bit for reference and this solved all audio problems.

Good luck!

-Adam

Hey Adam, thanks for the tip, but I've done that already and it didn't help.  I am also running Win7x64 on a Studio XPS 8000.  I am currently looking for a PCIE sound card so I can avoid this problem since most of the software fixes didn't last for me.

April 26th, 2010 07:00

Did a complete reinstall, issue came back after a few days.  Looks like I probably got a lemon. :(

1 Message

April 29th, 2010 08:00

I'm having the same problem.  The audio crackles and delays making things unlistenable.  A reboot makes the problem go away for a day or two.  I've updated to the latest realtek driver's but the only reason that even appeared to temporarily work was probably because of the required reboot.

The problem has been happening since I got the computer in January.

The the user above recommending the realtek driver update advise if the problem has returned for them or not?

- Dell Studio XPS 8000 running Windows 7 64-bit.

April 29th, 2010 08:00

I'm having the same problem.  The audio crackles and delays making things unlistenable.  A reboot makes the problem go away for a day or two.  I've updated to the latest realtek driver's but the only reason that even appeared to temporarily work was probably because of the required reboot.

The problem has been happening since I got the computer in January.

The the user above recommending the realtek driver update advise if the problem has returned for them or not?

- Dell Studio XPS 8000 running Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried the Dell drivers, the Realtek drivers, uninstalling Roxio and completely reinstalling the OS.  The reinstall delayed the issue from resurfacing the longest (4-5 days).  But even that wasn't sufficient to eliminate the crackling.  Dell just had someone over to replace my motherboard yesterday so I'll let you know if the hardware fix lasts.

May 20th, 2010 21:00

I want to give everyone an update.  I finally had the motherboard replaced by dell.  It's been over 2 weeks and the audio issue has not resurfaced.  So the problem appears to be hardware-related, at least in my case.

No Events found!