bojackson63044
2 Bronze

Re: Studio XPS 8100 Realtek ALC887 Integrated Audio - weird skipping/jittery sound

Jump to solution

I don't believe Roxio Burn and Roxio Easy CD are the same. Roxio Burn used to be called  DLA (Drive Letter Access) which allows direct drag and drop burning to an optical disk. You may have both on your system.  I suppose if you tried to install the Burn update, but don't have it, the updater would probably complain.  Set a manual System Restore point before doing anythng, just to be safe.

As for Data Safe Local, I don't know if Dell includes that as a freebee on every system or if you have to request (and/or purchase it).  Have you done a file search for DSUpdate.exe on your hard drive? It might not be in your Programs folder. Maybe somebody else can weigh in on Data Safe Local since I don't have it.

And keep in mind that I can't promise either of these are the root cause of your audio problems. I mentioned them because they've previously been linked to similar problems, but that doesn't exclude other causes, especially if you don't have Burn or Data Sate.  emoticon.Wink.title

Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm going to go thru with the mother board replacement then.  Hopefully that will fix the issue.  If not, I hope Dell will have the grace to take the thing and give me my money back.  I returned to Windows because of the rave reviews on Windows 7, but if this is what I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis, I'd happily continue paying the Apple tax.

0 Kudos
dhanrajc
2 Bronze

Re: Studio XPS 8100 Realtek ALC887 Integrated Audio - weird skipping/jittery sound

Jump to solution

Hi

You can try to update the Roxio software and Dell data safe local backup and check.

Regards

~ Ratz

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

I don't work for Dell, but I don't think you can blame them for a software failure/incompatibility with Roxio or Data Safe (which Dell re-brands from somebody else).

The issues with Roxio Burn and Data Safe are listed in a Dell technical bulletin so they're aware of the problems and recommended fixes. I agree with Ratz. Try the software updates first. If you replace the motherboard and still have the problem, you'll only end up trying the software updates anyway.

Besides, there are other things which can cause audio issues, and not just on Dell PCs. Audio issues may be caused by a defective video card or an incompatible/corrupted video driver. If the video card is using lots of DPCs (delayed procedure calls) that can affect audio quality too. If it's hardware, then the card needs to be replaced, otherwise a driver update might fix it.

These things aren't uncommon when there's  a newly released OS in the mix... emoticon.TongueTied.title

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
bojackson63044
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I don't work for Dell, but I don't think you can blame them for a software failure/incompatibility with Roxio or Data Safe (which Dell re-brands from somebody else).

The issues with Roxio Burn and Data Safe are listed in a Dell technical bulletin so they're aware of the problems and recommended fixes. I agree with Ratz. Try the software updates first. If you replace the motherboard and still have the problem, you'll only end up trying the software updates anyway.

Besides, there are other things which can cause audio issues, and not just on Dell PCs. Audio issues may be caused by a defective video card or an incompatible/corrupted video driver. If the video card is using lots of DPCs (delayed procedure calls) that can affect audio quality too. If it's hardware, then the card needs to be replaced, otherwise a driver update might fix it.

These things aren't uncommon when there's  a newly released OS in the mix... emoticon.TongueTied.title

Ron

I don't have the Roxio Burn on my computer and I finally remembered what I did to Data Safe - I got rid of it as soon as I got the computer, so I don't think either one of those updates would apply to my situation.

0 Kudos
dhanrajc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi

Hi the s/w roxio can be uninstalled but the dell data safe local backup s/w is a OEM bulit in s/w will not be able to uninstalled it, Only way to removed it is to do a clean os installing in the system just by deleting it from the startup or programs files will not remove it. [ just check in c:\program files\dell datasafe local backup - you will find the folder].  If you find the folder try to update by executing the file name dsupdate.exe

~ Ratz

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Grab Process Explorer, free from Microsoft. It works like Task Manager but is way better.

Launch PE and click Options>Always on top. Make the PE window small and put it off in a corner so you can see the CPU column. Click CPU until it lists things using the most CPU time at the top of the list (eg, System Idle).

When the audio acts up, look in the PE window to see what's hogging CPU time, aside from System Idle. That might point you at something running in the background such as Windows Indexing Service, Superfetch (both known resource hogs), a virus scan, or DPCs, all of which could cause the problem you're seeing.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
bojackson63044
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi

Hi the s/w roxio can be uninstalled but the dell data safe local backup s/w is a OEM bulit in s/w will not be able to uninstalled it, Only way to removed it is to do a clean os installing in the system just by deleting it from the startup or programs files will not remove it. [ just check in c:\program files\dell datasafe local backup - you will find the folder].  If you find the folder try to update by executing the file name dsupdate.exe

~ Ratz

Hi Ratz, 

Thanks for the input.  I went ahead and uninstalled Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning for good measure.  But I can't find Dell Datasafe anywhere on my computer.  Check out the screenshots.  And none of the folders that start with "Dell" contains the DSupdate.exe file we're looking for.

Thanks!

Bo

0 Kudos
brynner
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ron

In my case, I did a clean install of Windows 7 as soon as I got the computer, so the Roxio Burn and Data Safe would not be factors.  I'll see how this first fix plays out for a while.  If the skipping comes back, i'll try your suggestion to change video card drivers.

0 Kudos
bojackson63044
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, it's been over a day since I uninstalled Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning and the issue has not resurfaced yet.  Let's hope my luck holds . . .

0 Kudos
bojackson63044
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

OK, it's been a couple of days now and no crackling.  Uninstalling the Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning seemed to have fixed problem!

Quite a weird fix.  I wonder how it works.

0 Kudos