Highlighted
briggsy0113
1 Copper

Studio XPS 8100 constant freezing and crashing

Hi all

I recently received the Dell Studio XPS 8100 on the 24th February and since then I have had constant system crashes and freezes.

It can happen at anytime. Even when I am doing simple tasks like just browsing the internet or listening to media player.

Games do not last long before the system freezes.

The system becomes completelly unresponsive. Even the mouse and keyboard do not work and the only way i can reboot is by removing the plug from the wall socket then plugging it back in. Then i get the windows was not shut down properly message and have to select start windows normally.

Dell have told me that the hardware is fine so it is a software issue and they have asked me to call their technical support to resolve the issue. Since I will have to do this on my mobile it will cost a lot. I think it is unacceptable that i have to pay to get an issue resolved that shouldnt be their in the first place. I've had it 5 days and have had to unplug it from the mains more than i can remember. As you can probably tell I am not very happy with Dell at the moment and feel like i have been sold a duff system.

I have attempted a system restore to remove all the software and data i had installed to see if this solved the problem but as the desktop was loading after I entered the information for windows such as computer name and pasword etc... It crashed.

Before the system restore i had updated the audio and video drivers and the BIOS is up to date.

System spec is

Studio XPS 8100

Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

Intel core i7 860

6GB DDR3 RAM

NVidia GTS240 1GB

I hope thats enough information. Please ask if you need more.

Thanks in advance

Briggsy0113

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Justin0071
6 Indium

Re: Studio XPS 8100 constant freezing and crashing

I have the same spec as you but with 8GB of RAM and mine is crashing a lot during intensive games. The warning signs are the fan speed increases all of a sudden and the games just freeze completely and need to be stopped in the Task Manager.

This is really disappointing for me as everything else about the machine is great.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

it may be expensive but try replacing the RAM

things like this happened to me with my dimension untill I got new RAM

or try reinstalling windows

if you have bad RAM you will get CRC errors all the time when you install

0 Kudos
Justin0071
6 Indium

To be honest I don't want to swap any hardware out as I have only had the computer for a month or so.

Does anyone know the best email address for dell support? If they can't help me I will just send it back.

0 Kudos
briggsy0113
1 Copper

I have reinstalled the OS and had tech support on the phone all afternoon the other day.

They are sending an engineer out to replace my motherboard and hard drive because they couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Ill let you all know what happens.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi all

I recently received the Dell Studio XPS 8100 on the 24th February and since then I have had constant system crashes and freezes.

It can happen at anytime. Even when I am doing simple tasks like just browsing the internet or listening to media player.

We just took delivery of an XPS 8100 and assembled it today. We are having the same problem with spontaneous reboots and freezes. Ours will not run for more than 7 - 10 minutes before it either reboots itself or locks up. It took us 4 tries to complete the initial Windows setup because it kept rebooting during the process. By the fifth try we had the initial setup process nailed and we beat the next reboot. But then it continued to reboot itself and lock up every 7 - 10 minutes or so. Like yours, when ours locks up we either have to hold down the power button until it shuts down or we have to pull the plug from the UPS. Our call to Dell tech support was a waste of time. The connection was so bad that we couldn't hear nor understand them and they couldn't hear us. After 20 - 30 minutes of screaming and yelling into the phone we finally gave up. This thing is going back to Dell.

By the way, ours was configured quite differently from yours - Intel core i5-650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD5450 1GB, 1TB hard drive.

Let us know what happens when you get your new motherboard.

0 Kudos
briggsy0113
1 Copper

Hi All

After the engineer came he looked at the BIOS and said it was only saying there was 3GB memory but in windows it was saying 6GB.

He replaced the RAM chips but the same problem was there and still the system froze.

He finally decided to replace the mother board. The BIOS now states the correct amount of RAM and so far the system has not frozen since. Must have been a fault with a RAM socket.

So far my PC is working very well. The guy I was speaking to at Dell tech support was very helpfull and organised everything quickly for me with an engineer coming out the very next day. Although I did have the same problem with hearing what he was saying through the phone.

0 Kudos
cmraymond
1 Copper

Hello,

This week I received my XPS 8100 configured just as yours.  I started setting it up, copying our files to it, etc. and it started freezing and rebooting every 10 minutes or so.  I contacted Dell and within a relatively short time on the phone, they said they would send another complete system.  I am now waiting for it.  The first tech told me it would only be a few days, however, when I called to follow up today I was told 3-4 weeks.  I expressed my frustration and the gentleman said he would try to expedite it.

How is your system working?  I am wondering if I'm going to have the same issues with the replacement that's on it's way.  We've had 2 Dells that have lasted over 5 years and I'm hoping that this one isn't a lemon.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
briggsy0113
1 Copper

Hi

Since my PC got repaired it has been working just fine. No crashes or freezing issues like I had before. Seems like it was a faulty motherboard and a new one fixed it.

It is a very nice PC which I use for 3D CAD, gaming and general office use. Hoping that it will last me quite a long time too.

0 Kudos
cmraymond
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos