jg2711
2 Bronze

Studio XPS 9100 BIOS A04 shows date of 10/21/2010

Jump to solution

I flashed the BIOS to A04 some months ago and never paid much attetion to it. The flash said it was successful. But when I looked at System Properties, it gives the BIOS date as 10/21/2010; the BIOS was released 10/31/2011. Is this correct? It seems that date is older than BIOS A02.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Studio XPS 9100 BIOS A04 shows date of 10/21/2010

Jump to solution

I only run a bios update to fix a specific issue. If you just went to A04 because it was newer, I wouldn't worry about the date thing. Now, if your correcting a specific issue, try reflashing A04. But understand, if the bios update fails, your motherboard is bricked.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I only run a bios update to fix a specific issue. If you just went to A04 because it was newer, I wouldn't worry about the date thing. Now, if your correcting a specific issue, try reflashing A04. But understand, if the bios update fails, your motherboard is bricked.

View solution in original post

jg2711
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Chris,

Thanks. After searching around on Dell’s community website (and a few other sites on the Internet) I found a number of people listing the configurations of their XPS 9100 systems which included BIOS A04 – the dates they listed of the BIOS were the same date – 10/21/2010. I assume if Dell checked, I have a feeling this is the correct date since I found other people showing the same date for A04.

There isn’t a problem with the system as far as I can tell, I just flashed it because it was a newer BIOS and it went fine. I tried flashing it again with the same BIOS yesterday, it succeeded without any problems and the date is the same, 10/21/2010.

The download is at www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats and if you open fixes and enhancements, you see the following:

Fixes & Enhancements

Dell Inc. Copyright (C) 2010, All Rights reserved. www.dell.com BIOS Release Notes =================================================================== =================================================================== Systems: Dell Studio XPS 9100 Version: A10 Build Date: 10/21/2010 Fixes/Enhancements: 1. Support Intel new CPUs.

The build date for A10 (whatever that is) shows the same date; 10/21/201 even though the release date shows 10/31/2011. Since there are no known problems, I will consider is resolved. Perhaps Dell didn’t change the date of the BIOS, just updated it and called it A04.

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
jg2711
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am not sure if this went through, so I have pasted in the same answer... Thanks.

Chris,

Thanks. After searching around on Dell’s community website (and a few other sites on the Internet) I found a number of people listing the configurations of their XPS 9100 systems which included BIOS A04 – the dates they listed of the BIOS were the same date – 10/21/2010. I assume if Dell checked, I have a feeling this is the correct date since I found other people showing the same date for A04.

There isn’t a problem with the system as far as I can tell, I just flashed it because it was a newer BIOS and it went fine. I tried flashing it again with the same BIOS yesterday, it succeeded without any problems and the date is the same, 10/21/2010.

The download is at www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats and if you open fixes and enhancements, you see the following:

Fixes & Enhancements

Dell Inc. Copyright (C) 2010, All Rights reserved. www.dell.com BIOS Release Notes =================================================================== =================================================================== Systems: Dell Studio XPS 9100 Version: A10 Build Date: 10/21/2010 Fixes/Enhancements: 1. Support Intel new CPUs.

The build date for A10 (whatever that is) shows the same date; 10/21/2010 even though the release date shows 10/31/2011. Since there are no known problems, I will consider is resolved. Perhaps Dell didn’t change the date of the BIOS, just updated it and called it A04.

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
psychedlicSight
2 Bronze

RE: Studio XPS 9100 BIOS A04 shows date of 10/21/2010

Jump to solution

I have a question regarding this BIOS update.  I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, currently it is a i7-930.  Now I notice on the notes it says "1. support intel new cpus."   Does that mean, all of the i7-9xxx series cpus?  I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere on dell's site or the internet.   Please help.   I'm looking to get a i7-975, a i7-970, i7-980 or maybe a i7-960.   Maybe dell has some records of this somewhere in their history files?

Thanks!

0 Kudos