Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JF

July 22nd, 2014 15:00

Studio XPS 9100 BIOS update of 7/3/2014

I've been having ongoing stability problems with my Studio XPS 9100 Windows 764.

Based on information for my system (Service Tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy> ) found on the following page,

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2YDK7&fileId=2731099313&osCode=W764&productCode=studio-xps-9100&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

the BIOS (ver. A04) were updated on 3 July 2014 and it is "recommended" to update them.  I downloaded (File S9100-A04.exe) and did the checksum verification... all successful.

HOWEVER, after successfully flashing the BIOS (or so it seems), Windows System Information shows the following:

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Computer Corporation A04, 10/21/2010

Reviewing the contents of the RAR compressed files reveal that they are exactly the same as the ones I downloaded in Feb 2013, with most files dated 3/17/2010.

This is confusing, conflicting with the stated information on the page, and overall disappointing.

Does anyone know whether there was an actual update to the BIOS on 7/3/2014 and, if so, where the updated file can be found?

Thank you,

JF

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2014 17:00

Hi JF,

Did you scroll down to see this part:

Systems: Dell Studio XPS 9100
Version: A04
Build Date: 10/21/2010

54 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hi Osprey,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I did noticed the Build Date ...  But, unfortunately, I'm not any further in my pursuit of this matter.

Usually, when an update is issued, dated and recommended for users to install, there is some indication of a version change, a file name/date changes... something.  Not here.  Not even the file size, or the dates of the component files in the package -- all are exactly the same as the previous version.

Therefore, the question remains: Is this version, which Dell has recommended that users install (at least in those cases where there are issues which justify the risks involved in flashing BIOS), new -- reflecting some kind of a change over previous versions?  

This remains unclear even after reading your reply, and I would very much appreciate a clarification.

Thank you again,

JF 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 16:00

That's pretty strange all right. No idea!

You have not explained what sorts of problems you have.

54 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 17:00

Strange it is. 

The problems: the garden variety of PC instability, BSOD and startup failures, as experienced by millions of Windows 7 users, Dell or otherwise.  I've been dealing with them for sometime and it appears the BIOS might be at fault.  You never know, until the problems go away -- and aren't replaced by others... hehe...

The problem with not properly identifying an "updated" release of BIOS is that after successfully flashing the old BIOS, I cannot tell whether I got a fresh set, or just the same old (but hopefully properly installed), something that might turn out to be important at a future time.

I'm not active on this forum, but if you find out anything further on this, I'd love a reply to this post.

Thank you very much!
JF

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 20:00

More than likely its the same file just the date changed during a drivers and downloads site upgrade.

January 28th, 2015 19:00

Hey Osprey

have you ever heard of a way to override BIOS settings on a locked motherboard? The Dell XPS 9100 does not give me access to increase my RAM speed.

My RAM slots can only read 1333 mhz in bios, but my memory sticks can process up to 2133 mhz

Maybe the BIOS is what is locked as opposed to the motherboard, as I just updated the BIOS (AO4) and I still do not have access to any advanced settings

675 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 21:00

I ran into the identical situation yesterday. I'm trying to resolve a hardware issue, visited the Dell support page, ran the system detect software, and got the same result: It was recommended that I "update" my BIOS to this July 2014 version, A04. I had already updated to A04 in February 2014.

I downloaded the file and when I saw that the archive structure, size, and version number were all identical I passed.

I think it's irresponsible to suggest a update when you already have the same file installed.

September 27th, 2016 00:00

Hi all, does anyone know which "new cpus are supported" with this A04. I'm looking to upgrade my CPU but can't find out exactly which cpus I can get.  Is it all the i7-9xxx series? Which cpus do you guys have in your system?   I have a i7-930... looking to get a 970 or 975 or even a 980.  Thanks!

675 Posts

September 27th, 2016 07:00

I have the i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz.

No Events found!