Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2014 06:00

Studio XPS 9100 Motherboard Replacement Options

I love my Studio XPS 9100. I have updated many of its component parts in an attempt to keep it current, but it is past its prime and needs to be modernized. Are there replacement motherboards that will fit nicely in the Studio XPS 9100 case? If so, any suggestions for a nice high-end replacement? Thanks! Kent

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2014 10:00

No there are no replacements.  It is non standard front panel as well as several other control cables.

6 Posts

March 12th, 2014 15:00

Thank you! I think after supporting Dell with buying maybe 5 desktops and 5 laptops over 20 years, I think that I am going to start assembling my own desktops. The inability to upgrade is ridiculous. Thanks! Kent

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 12th, 2014 20:00

If so, any suggestions for a nice high-end replacement?
I installed a third party motherboard in an XPS 7100 chassis and an XPS 8500 motherboard in a third party chassis. You should be able to install a third party motherboard in an XPS 9100; from looking at photos, it is ATX, so either ATX or mATX should fit. The front panel wiring should be standard, although the pin assignments for the power switch may be in a different position.

22 Posts

August 27th, 2014 09:00

I like my Studio XPS 9100 also, but it appears the motherboard in mine, and the replacement developed problems causing the computer to freeze.   Technician is scheduled to come out and replace with the third motherboard..  Glad I kept the warranty rolling. 

1 Message

October 19th, 2014 19:00

You are exactly correct Kent. Dell is so totally not up to the 21st century. Let people have the ability to upgrade their systems. Dell wants you to buy a new computer from them, but I will never buy another Dell computer and this is the main reason why I won't. BUILD YOUR OWN! NOBODY NEEDS DELL AND THEIR [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] ANYMORE. Thank alot, Will

1 Message

September 4th, 2015 09:00

disable intel speed step in the bios to stop the computer from locking up on boot.

it's a problem with windows 7 x64 editions and the chipset. or you can upgrade to windows 8.1 or windows 10.

Either way it will stop the warranty calls.

No Events found!