Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2013 13:00

Studio XPS 9100 Radeon HD 7950 what brand will work?

Currently looking to upgrade the 5770 in my XPS 9100 to a 7950 and after checking whether a upgrade would be possible for this machine I have come across several posts that say I am able to upgrade. After looking through several brands I had made my mind up on the Gigabyte brand but after looking further into it I noticed several posts on different sites and a review on Amazon that stated they had problems with that specific card freezing up. Would appreciate if someone knows of a brand of 7950 that will work. I know I will probably will not be able to get a response from someone who has actually upgraded a XPS 9100 with a 7950 which I would prefer but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I could not find any information on other cards installed in the XPS 9100 besides on the Gigabyte brand not working.

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2013 08:00

Maybe Sapphire changed this on the Vapor X model.  If that's the case, I would just go with the ones that are confirmed to use just two 6-pin connectors so you have no worries like this one HERE.  However, I would also consider the MSI TF as a good choice HERE.  Since the cooling in Dell cases is never the greatest, I would look too at the GTX 660 Ti EVGA external exhaust models.  Depending on the games, these two just trade blows back and forth in performance so you would probably never notice any difference between the two except that the Nvidia GTX 660 Ti just may play today's games smoother than the AMD card.  But then again, 4 free games vs. one free game is a big difference if you like what you're getting. 

I'm going to guess that there is a problem they are trying to fix with the Vapor X model if they are swapping it with two 8 pins after initial release.  Most HD 7950s are only using two 6 pins and the HD 7970s are using the one 8 pin and a 6 pin.  The GTX 660 Ti only uses two 6 pins for sure. 

2K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

Hi Sionz,

Dell Studio XPS 9100 is compatible with 7950 video card. You may use it along with the PSU that was shipped with this computer (525W).

If you have anyother questions do reply to the same thread.

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 18:00

I plan on purchasing the Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950 OC with Boost 3 GB which uses two 8 pin power cables but yesterday when I opened my desktop up I believe I only saw a single 8 pin connector and a 6 pin. This card I plan on purchasing includes in the package two 8 pin to 4 pin cables already, will I be able to install these in case my PSU does not have a second 8 pin?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 20:00

No.  Splicing Connectors together does not make your power supply into an 850W power supply EPS 12V.

Those 2 connectors mean the video card alone uses over 375 Watts of power.

1.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 21:00

This Sapphire Vapor X HERE only needs one 6-pin and one 8-pin.  

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 23:00

It is listed wrong if you check the feedback people have posted that it really requires two 8-pins.

8 Posts

June 4th, 2013 13:00

Was tempted on the GTX 660 Ti but so far all the tests I have looked at showed that the 7950 out performed it in most games. The bonus games mean nothing to me because I already own all of them except for Crysis 3 which I do not have interest in playing and Blood Dragon but they would be nice to have to give as gifts to friends. Only thing that really has me interested in GTX 660 Ti is it seems to perform well on FFXIV. I almost went with the MSI model before I read about the thermal paste problems they have and I do not really want to deal with that with a new card. Going to think about getting that Sapphire with the 6-pins and if I have problems with it I can return it. Just sucks that the Gigabyte model seems to have problems with XPS 9100 or I'd be getting that since it has great reviews but if I have a problem with the Sapphire I'll order the Gigabyte to see for myself if I have the freezing issues this reviewer had with the same machine.

3 Posts

June 4th, 2013 14:00

I was also wondering whether the 525W would be enough to power the graphic card or should I purchase a stronger power supply just incase?

3 Posts

June 4th, 2013 14:00

Hey Sionz, I have a XPS 9100 too and I'm in urgent need for a new graphic card because my original one crashed.

It seems to me that my computer has only got 2 six-pin connector but anyhow I don't know which on to choose from either GTX 660 Ti or the Sapphire one Kelbear suggest. Could you let me know where you buy your graphic card?

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2013 21:00

You do not need to upgrade your power supply.  The 525 watt is enough for either the GTX 660 Ti or the HD 7950.  You can look HERE to see how the two compare with different games.  Obviously, if you play Crysis, then the HD 7950 is your best bet and the GTX 660 Ti performs better with games like Portal 2 and Battlefield 3.  

3 Posts

June 5th, 2013 00:00

Thanks for the advice, my computer crashed, it can be turn on but no display showing at all. I have assume to be a problem with the graphic card so i borrow my friends. I used to have a Radeon HD 68xx and i borrow my friend's GeForce GTX 660 but still no display showing so i have no idea what the problem is

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2013 08:00

The 7950 when gaming can draw 180w just the video card which leaves 345w for everything else.

Pushing the power supply beyond reason can fry everything if the supply dies overvoltage then blows the fuse.

:emotion-3:

8 Posts

June 5th, 2013 11:00

Hmm, if I do upgrade my PSU to prevent that from happening what would be good model to buy that would fit in the 9100 case and would be below $150.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2013 11:00

Most 750W+ EPS12V models will work fine.  It doesn't use a proprietary design.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

8 Posts

June 18th, 2013 09:00

Just wanted to make an update since my last post. My 7950 came in the mail yesterday and I installed it that day and it has been working great so far but I did end up upgrading my PSU to a 750w so the card lasts me a long time. I purchased the SAPPHIRE 100352-3L that Kelbear recommended and it runs cool at 32°C when idling and at around 63°C when in game on max settings. I had originally thought about going for the Vapor-X model I was originally going to get since I upgraded my PSU but I felt it would have not left enough room for airflow. Thanks for all the help provided from everybody was a great help and I will update if whether this card begins to have problems and I need to RMA but everything is great currently! ^_^

No Events found!