Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2014 20:00

Studio XPS 9100 Suddenly a lot of fan activity

I have a 3 year old Studio XPS 9100 with a 990X processor running Win7 Pro 64bit, 12GB RAM. All drivers and BIOS are up to date. System has been running fine... no problems. However, recently, for no apparent reason, the CPU fan has been running loudly. I checked the core temps and they are hot. The fan seems to be correctly reacting to the hot cores. At idle, they are around 60C. When loaded, they peak to 100C! The question is, why are the cores hot? I carefully cleaned the box, blowing out any dust (there wasn't that much). I removed the CPU fan to check for problems and found nothing. Until recently, I almost never heard the fans run. Now I hear them often. What could have changed??? Could the CPU heatsink have disconnected from the CPU? If so, what's the best way to fix it? Any help is much appreciated.

459 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 09:00

I have a newer Dell and an older Dell and Both have thermal compounds in them, I use ARCTIC SILVER 5 tends to be the best and gets better over time.

For the Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop Computer: CPU Heat Sink Compound (2.5g).

2.5 grams of high density ceramic-based Thermal Compound (Thermal Grease) for CPU use.

High density layered composite of 5 unique shapes of thermally conductive aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide sub-micron particles.

Controlled Triple-Phase Viscosity. 

LOOKS LIKE THERE IS THERMAL COMPOUND FOR YOUR SPECIFIC SYSTEM. I WOULD USE ARCTIC SILVER 5.

APPLICATION METHODS:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 21:00

Hi joelincoln,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Also, send me a private message with the system service tag so that I can check and assist you. Please click on my name and click on Send private message.

After the removing and replacing of the CPU fan it may be touching some external material to make the noise.

459 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 23:00

5 Posts

Thanks for your info.  Is there more specific info on my box?  I understand that Dell uses thermal pads and not grease.  How do I remove/clean them?  Can I now use grease instead?  And how do I safely remove my heatsink in the first place?

Thanks,

459 Posts

PULL OUT

HOW TO CLEAN

THERMAL PADS VS> THERMAL COMPOUNDS

5 Posts

Thanks again.  I'll have to get some compound and see what happens.

Do you know what temperature my 990x processor's six cores should be running at when at idle?

459 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 12:00

Keep in mind that Cores temperature and CPU  temperature are two different things.

The maximum recommended temperature for this CPU Is 67.9*C @ CPU CORE

As long as the CPU temperature does not reaches above 67.9 degrees Celsius, the processor will be running under thermal specifications.

You can double check the maximum recommended temperature for this processor at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52585/Intel-Core-i7-990X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-(12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 13:00

Again, great info. 

But it has confused me somewhat.  I am using CPUID HWMonitor to monitor my temps.  It is reporting on a "CPU" temp and six "Core" temps (Core #0, #1, #2, #8, #9, and #10).  The CPU temp hardly moves and sits between 30 and 36 C.

The core temps fluctuate significantly between 55 and 100 C.  The fan rpms are obviously reacting to the swings in the core temps, not the CPU temp.

If my heatsink has become disconnected (which I have yet to verify), would that impact the dissipation rate from the cores or the overall CPU or both?

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 15:00

Okay all, FOUND THE PROBLEM!

The plastic holder that houses the large heat sink over the CPU cracked around two of the four mounting screws.  This allowed the heat sink to detach from the CPU.

I removed the unit, cleaned the old compound off and reapplied new Arctic Silver 5 compound per recommendations in the videos and posts above.

I jury-rigged a fix to the mounting screws and reassembled it all.

And voila', it works.  Core temps are all around 30c and the fan is back to its normal quiet rpm.

Interestingly, the "CPU" temp reported by CPUID HWMonitor is unaffected.  It remains at around 36c.  So it's clear that the fan is keyed to react to the core temps and the "CPU" temp is not a reliable measure of CPU heat.

Thanks to 30yearexpert for his copious and useful help.

459 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 16:00

I am very happy we were able to sort this out. One more video to wrap this up for the future:

CPU TEMP VS. CORE TEMP

ALSO: If shaving degrees is your thing, there is a process called: LAPPING.

This process is used in the gaming world to shave down degrees as to get a better temp while gaming in an overclocked configuration. Usually involves sand paper, water and chunk of flat, thick glass.

459 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 16:00

If my heatsink has become disconnected (which I have yet to verify), would that impact the dissipation rate from the cores or the overall CPU or both?

You can bet that it has a lot to do with the heat dissipation.

1 Message

May 18th, 2014 18:00

joelincoln,

I had exactly the same issue as you.

I did a similar fix as you have described. I was going to contact Dell and see if I could purchase that plastic holder until I sat and thought about how I could fix it myself. Arranging the 2 broken plastic screw holders toward the front of the machines I used duct tape to secure that side after tightening the two screws toward the back of the machine. The tall fan cyliner and horizontal brace across the chassis gave me the perfect leverage to duct tape it down tightly (torque unknown but not an issue). I know duct tape was a whole lot cheaper than what Dell would have wanted for a replacement. If I ever hear the fan making those noises again, I'll know the tape is stretching and getting lose so I'll apply the same fix again.

Problem solved. Core temps went down from 90-100 to 35-40. 

If someone from Dell is monitoring this I recommend you document this broken heat sink plastic holder where the screws attach it to the motherboard as an installation QA issue.

No Events found!