Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2013 08:00

Studio XPS 9100 uneven fan noise

My 2011 9100 has a Fan that continues to run faster and slower, which is very distracting. It seems to be from the power supply. When I open the case and when the surging fan starts I press my finger on the CPU fan to slow it slightly, but the fan surge continues. If the rear case fan is unplugged the same fan noise can be heard.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

Is it possible to replace the power supply without replacing the entire wire bundle that exits the power supply?

Thanks,

Arne

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 18:00

Thanks for the very good tip. My problem has been happening much longer. Plus this is a fresh Windows 7 install and not from any of the OEM disks so there is no Dell software on this box anymore.

I still suspect the CPU cooler is the culprit for me and I have been dreading changing it out (which is why I replaced the PSU first, it was easier). I ordered my new cooler today from Newegg so in about a week I should be able to (hopefully) report back with a much quieter PC.

40 Posts

March 4th, 2015 04:00

Hi Upirons,

Since my original post - yes it is not the power supply.

Hopefully, the new CPU cooler will fit in the case. I found it difficult to get information on which CPU cooler will fit in the Dell.

This is a real design kludge, since the persistent changing of the fan speed at just above CPU idle totally detracts from the "user experience". My Dell is located in an 11 inch wide desk enclosure, so the side panel was removed. Still the CPU is too noisy.

5 Posts

March 4th, 2015 12:00

Wow, good idea. That might explain why it was fine for the first, oh, 2 years or so. Given that the CPU heatsink I ordered may not even fit and, even if it will, might be a huge PITA to install, I might give your suggestion a try first. I can definitely return the heatsink I ordered if that works out.

I should be able to report back early next week.

Thanks!

40 Posts

March 4th, 2015 15:00

Interesting. I'll give that a try. 

5 Posts

March 12th, 2015 16:00

No Events found!