Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2012 09:00

Studio XPS Desktop SSD Install

I just got a Crucial 256 SSD M4 Drive. Trying to install in my Dell Studio XPS desktop (Model 9100 BIOS A5) with no luck. Booting a windows install disk, either win 7 or 8 initially saw the drive and then gave me an error that it can not be installed into that drive. Now I boot to the install disk and the drive doesn't show up. There is no setting in the Bios for AHCI. Only Raid and ATA. Is there a way for me to install this drive? Appreciate any information or advice.

Rob

85 Posts

June 21st, 2012 10:00

Hello robertw477,

Welcome to Dell community Forum

After installing the SSD did you try checking in the BIOS if the SSD is showing?

What about the other HDD is it still in the computer or have you replaced it with SSD?

16 Posts

June 21st, 2012 11:00

First I disconnected old hard drive to start with SSD. The SSD is not showing in the BIOS and I just checked that. I hook the old hard drive back up and I boot windows again.

Robert

14.4K Posts

June 21st, 2012 12:00

Are you connecting the ssd to port 0 of your motherboard?

16 Posts

June 21st, 2012 15:00

I am using the SSD wires that were connected to the original (first hard drive in this system) Are you suggesting something else. Right now the original hard drive is plugged using those wires I pulled it to try to install this drive (SSD)

16 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 07:00

I tried this morning to attach a new laptop 2.5 hard drive that I have just bought for my laptop just to see if the drive is recognized in the BIOS. Attached this drive and it was not recognized. Reattached the current 3.5 form factor drive and booted that back up. I cant imagine what the issue might be.

Rob

16 Posts

June 25th, 2012 18:00

There are 4 SATA ports on the motherboard. As yiou saying the drive will only work on one of those ports. I think they are numbered 1-4. You mention port 0

No Events found!