Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2015 15:00

Studio xps 8100 fan speed

I have a studio xps 8100. The cpu fan started reving up to around 3000 rpms then back to 300 rpms around every 8 seconds. There is no fan setting in my bios and I have the latest BIOS update. I have blown out all the dust. I switched fans with my wifes computer and it still does it so its not the fan itself.  I installed speedfan it is shows no settings for fan speeds, It does say my cpu cores are running around 40 to 50 degrees celcius and the graph for fan1 goes up and down from 300 to over 3000 rpm. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I can fix it? Will the fan slowing to 300 rpm damage my cpu? Appreciate any help I get. Thanks.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the tip on Open Hardware monitor.   I installed that & can now actually control the CPU fan by changing fan control 1.  When in default mode, in runs 300-3200 rpm, but if I set a manual percentage, it runs steady at that speed.   I'll look into recent updates & put the heat sink paste on for extra insurance.   The default (motherboard?) control has an issue for sure.

5.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 10:00

Interesting. You might want to try I18fangui. This is an older program that has mucho fan speed control options. It hasn't worked well for newer laptops, but I haven't had a new one for a while. You can set four automatic temperature /fan speeds for the CPU and GPU fans (if you have one). By using a good profile, temps can be kept in a tight range.

33 Posts

February 16th, 2015 17:00

I had the same issue with y studio 8100. It was driving me crazy and I remembered the problem started on Feb 12. I restored the system back to Feb 11 and have not had a problem all day. Now I have to reinstall those windows updates one by one. I suspect one of them was the problem.

Jane

10 Posts

February 16th, 2015 17:00

I tried installing open hardware monitor and I can't see anywhere that allows me to control the fan speed. It does tell me the rpm they are running. Did you control the speed with this program or another program.

February 16th, 2015 21:00

I'm having the exact same thing happen to me!  I've taken out and cleaned the fan, reinstalled the BIOS, run every diagnostics I can find and it hasn't solved anything. :(  I made a video of the fan being wonky: www.youtube.com/watch;

I recently installed windows updates as well so maybe one of them was the culprit.  Before that though I was getting "\windows\system32 is corrupt and unreadable" messages followed by bluescreens and check disk runs at every boot.  Finally that all ended but now I'm left with a CPU fan that won't stay at a constant speed. 

3 Posts

February 17th, 2015 08:00

This issue started on my Dell Studio 8100 last week shortly after I installed the Windows updates. I haven't been able to fix it and it's been down at the repairers for diagnostic tests. New thermal paste was applied, problem still persists. The CPU is not running hot. The fan is not an intel fan otherwise they would have changed the fan. However I am reading more and more instances of this issue, all happeneing around the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm suspecting the Windows update has affected something. I am not a techy so have no clue as to what, but it's dame annoying having the fan rev up every 10 secs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2015 09:00

This problem is seriously annoying the life out of me and reducing my use of the PC.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2015 10:00

1 Message

February 17th, 2015 10:00

I had a similar problem with the fan running on high after 5 minutes of starting my laptop.

The problem seems to be related to the newly installed Dell Support Assist and Dell Data Vault.

Please look here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19617992

Basically: disable Dell Support Assist and Data Vault via services in your task manager and your fan should run normal again. 

No idea why Dell hasn't identified and rectified the problem yet

10 Posts

February 17th, 2015 12:00

I tried what you suggested. Stopped speedfan and in msconfig checked off the dell support and dell data vault in startup so they wouldn't start. So far i've been running abut 10 minutes, started a video and several programs. Everything seems fine. My case fan is running around 928rpm and my cpu fan is 812. They are fluctuating a couple points up and down only. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

February 17th, 2015 13:00

Regarding Dell SupportAssist:

A fix has now been developed and successfully tested internally for this issue, however we feel it's important at this time to assist customers with this hotfix to ensure it addresses the problems they are seeing in their particular configurations before posting the fix for wide distribution.

We have already contacted a number of customers who reported the issue on other forums and thus far, results have been positive. If you would like us to work with you to implement this hotfix, please place a reply into this forum and we’ll contact you as quickly as possible or send mail to supportassist@dell.com

10 Posts

February 17th, 2015 13:00

If is something simple sure but what I've done is working and I can wait for the update also.

Thanks

Peter

10 Posts

February 17th, 2015 15:00

I Know , I guess I jumped the gun when I ordered a new CPU. Oh well , I'm updating my computer to a i7 for $90, guess that's not too bad. If I don't see much performance difference I'll resell it.                                    I think the big companies are all the same though, Microsoft sells new operating systems then fixes the bugs later. Maybe the bugs don't show up in testing and its when they're released and people are using them on different systems that these bugs show up. At least I learnt a little more about computers because of it, not that I'll remember it all. Did get lots of good advice and help, thanks to everyone who took the time to help.

Peter

4 Posts

Same here....turned off dell support (hardly) & data vault, rebooted & problem solved.   I didn't realize that these services were running on startup.  Also I'm annoyed & surprised that Dell can create havoc, wasted time & expense by altering our PC's behind our backs!   Seems like a good way to drum up new business & buy a new PC.  IMO, Dell owes us more than a hotfix!!

4 Posts

No Events found!