Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 28th, 2015 08:00

Supplementary Power Connectors in Precision T5810 - for NVIDIA GTX Titan X video card

I can't find the specs on the supplementary power connectors in Precision T5810 workstations. The only online resource that confirms that there are supplementary power connectors available on a T5810 to power video cards is http://www.kapit.or.kr/conference/2015/k3-2.pdf ...

• see slide 5 - "New! Enabling consumer graphics cards with supplementary power connectors on top"
  • on slide 9 - "Up to 300W professional graphics"

I want to use a NVIDIA GTX Titan X card. The card specs state the following (see http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications):

• Graphics card power: 250W
  • Minimum system power requirement: 600W
  • Supplementary power connectors: 6-pin + 8-pin

I am assuming the 685W power supply available on the Precision T5810 has enough juice to power this NVIDIA card.

Could someone please confirm whether a 6-pin and an 8-pin supplementary power connectors are available on a T5810?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 28th, 2015 10:00

The way many vendors handle this is to have a 2 X 6 pin to 8 pin connector and then need 1 more.

Aka 75W X 3 = 225W + 75W from the x16 slot = 300W

If the supply has 4 6 pin connectors then you are fine.

If it only has 2 then the supply is too small.

The standard power supply is only 685W.

11 Posts

May 28th, 2015 13:00

Speedstep - thanks for the info.

My question is what supplementary power connectors exist on the T5810 with 685W power supply. The answer to this question along with the information you shared will help me determine if a Precision T5810 would fit the bill.

Why isn't this information included on the T5810 specs or the user manual? Why does Dell make is so hard to get to this information?

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 12:00

I just looked inside an actual Dell t5810 and see two supplementary six-pin connectors with the 685W power supply. So, for example, if a graphics card you are looking at requires one 8-pin connector and one 6-pin connector, then it won't work. I hope this helps.

217 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 15:00

My 5810 came with only a 450W PSU and this weird PS CARD, no power cables coming off the PSU for a graphics card ;^(

Is this PSU card supposed to be used to attach a 8 pin power cord to my 6 pin graphics card?

1 Message

May 22nd, 2017 11:00

Has anyone been able to purchase the 470-ABHM adapter? I tried ordering it from Dell but they seem to be indefinitely sold out. Is there another place where I can get it?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 15th, 2017 09:00

I did a lot of research on this. I'm sure you aren't looking for an answer at this point, but the answer is No. I spoke to Dell and they do not manufacture a native 8-pin male connector, nor a 6+8-pin, which is what you'd need. My research has lead me to the conclusion that these sort of cards just simply weren't tested with these systems and were not certified to work under that sort of workload.

You can get a Chinese Ebay cable that will adapt the 8-pin(power board) connector to 6+8-pin, in fact, I have one on the way. It will take a couple weeks. However, you can also just as easily go to Amazon and get a SATA power-to-6pin adapter:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1_sspa

And...

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Here, what you're doing is running the heavier 8-pin connector through the existing dual male 6-pin connectors currently fitted into your power board, then running the lighter 75 watt 6-pin connector through a single SATA power. You can do it the other way around and use one of the existing 6-pin and purchase a dual SATA-power-to 8-pin PCIE adapter, but the Precision doesn't have many SATA power to spare. One goes to a DVD drive(currently not in use on my machine), and two for the HDD.  So you will have to buy SATA power Y-splitters to do this...unless you are not using one of the HDD bays and are not using a DVD drive. I, on the other hand, would like to put my Blu-Ray burner back in and so have ordered the CHinese cable here:

www.ebay.com/.../191816769622

I figure there isn't too much that could be screwed up, so I trust there won't be a fire or anything, but I'd prefer to run everything through the designated PCIE connector on the power board anyway. SATA simply wasn't designed to handle too much amperage...even, though, the most it could ever pull while using the SATA-to-6-pin adapter is only 6.5 amps...better than running 12.5+ through it, via, the 8-pin.

Oh,

And I run a Dual GPU Radeon Pro 32GB in the above SATA-to-6-pin, and dual female 6-pin-to-single 8-pin fashion. All proves to be fine. I can benchmark and actually I get TITAN X comparable benchmarks out of it. The Radeon Pro 32GB  draws north of 250 Watts(no more than 300 Watts at full load) and my 685 Watt PSU hasn't had any issues. I also have completely full DIMM slots at 64GB, which I was concerned would compete with the card at first. The CPU on the 5810(assuming e5 1650 v3/ v4) is no more than 168 Watts at full turbo boost load.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 16th, 2017 18:00

You cant use that on the 425W unit as it is too small.  Adding connectors DOES NOT increase power output from the supply.

8pin to 6pin+6pin Power Adapter Cable for DELL Precision Tower 5810 T5810 

dual 6 PIN  cable part number D92C9:

3rd party cable.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-t5810-workstation_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8pin-to-6pin-6pin-Power-Adapter-Cable-for-DELL-Precision-Tower-5810-T5810-35cm-/201546039247

No Events found!