Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2016 10:00

Switching Windows 10 to XP?

I have a nearly new Inspiron 5558 laptop running Windows10.

W10 *** big time, and is not compatible with my older version  Autocad and Photoshop software and updating the software would cost more than the computer.

I have a spare XP hard disk left over when I converted a 15 year old Inspiron laptop to SSD.

If I switch the HD in my new computer to the old XP disk will that boot OK and give me good old stable, reliable, compatible, familiar XP in the new computer?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 13th, 2016 13:00

No. Newer PC chipsets do not support XP.

It is, however, possible to run XP in a virtual machine within Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2016 13:00

I have a nearly new Inspiron 5558 laptop running Windows10.

W10 *** big time, and is not compatible with my older version  Autocad and Photoshop software and updating the software would cost more than the computer.

I have a spare XP hard disk left over when I converted a 15 year old Inspiron laptop to SSD.

If I switch the HD in my new computer to the old XP disk will that boot OK and give me good old stable, reliable, compatible, familiar XP in the new computer?

Yandina

No, a 15 year old hard drive containing XP, will not work in a new Inspiron 5558 laptop.

You do know that all support for XP, ended in  April 2014?

Bev. 

2 Posts

March 13th, 2016 17:00

Cool, thanks I'll check out running XP as a virtual machine.

I would have thought that although an old computer could not necessarily run a more modern operating system,  modern hardware should support legacy software.

Yes XP support is ended but after 15 years it needs no support.  It is free, of all bugs, stable and operates much more reliably than W10.  Yes I'm paranoid about what I download however its run 15 years without any virus filters and not had a single sniffle.  With hardware maintenance as needed I don't see why it won't last another 10 years.

And I can't afford to update Photoshop and Autocad so I HAVE to keep it running.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 13th, 2016 19:00

I would have thought that although an old computer could not necessarily run a more modern operating system,  modern hardware should support legacy software.

Microsoft has retired XP, and Intel has refused to supply XP drivers for its newer chipsets. They believe it's time to move on.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2016 07:00

Microsoft has made that more difficult.

There is no more XP mode and Hypervisor now requires EPT(SLAT) instructions.

So machines that will run windows 10 may not necessarily be able to run Virtual Machines with XP.

While the Inspiron 3847 tower does not come with XP Drivers it will run XP when secure boot is turned off, Legacy CSM is turned on and SATA operation is set to ATA instead of AHCI.  You also need a video card because the onboard INTEL has no XP drivers.

Coreinfo tells you about your cpu.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722.aspx

• "*" means the feature is present
  • "-" means it is missing

Here is an example of a CPU that is NOT SLAT capable:

5.2K Posts

March 14th, 2016 09:00

Did you install he programs in Win 10 using the XP compatibility mode? It's a long shot. This was usually successful in Win 7 and 8, but I have not had a lot of success with XP programs in Win 10. Make sure you do BOTH the installation and run the program itself in XP Compatibility mode.

No Events found!