Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 30th, 2017 10:00

System Recovery - Partition

Hello,

I have a friend who just inherited a Vostro 270 desktop. The computer has Windows 7 Pro installed, but there's a password on it and she has no way of getting it from the previous owner. Is there a way for me to do a system recovery on it from the recovery partition without knowing the password? I've already tried hitting several of the Function keys (F8, F10, etc.), but no luck. They just keep taking me to Login screen.

I know where I can order a set of Recovery CDs if needed, but I was hoping to avoid that if possible. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions. :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 30th, 2017 20:00

Are you talking about the System (BIOS) password or the Windows password?

If it's the Windows password, chances are you will have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows...

46 Posts

September 30th, 2017 21:00

Hi Ron,

Yes, it's the Windows password, not the BIOS. I figured I'd have to reinstall. I was just looking to see if I could do it from the partition instead of having to order reinstall disks. I gather you're saying I can't?

--- Gary

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 1st, 2017 10:00

That's not necessarily true.  You WILL need some type of Windows 7 boot medium (flash drive or bootable DVD) to access the recovery partition -- but you can do it without a full set of restore media.

smsoftdev-solutions.blogspot.com/.../how-to-restore-dell-factory-image-when.html

(it'll work for both Vista or 7 -- but NOT for windows 10).

46 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 10:00

Hi there. Thank you for your response.

I tried your suggestion, but I'm not finding the "TOOLS"  directory anywhere on the recovery partition drive. Nor am I finding any of the other directories listed in the directions. I've tried searching for the "Imagex" command on all existing drive letters, but found nothing. Might they be called anything else? Thank you in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2017 07:00

Imagex is a dell service for business not home systems and its from 2007 so its old and likely no longer supported.  There are no tools or other browseable folders because the DBAR partition is encrypted.  This is also why if you upgrade or mess with the partition in any way its broken forever. Dell DOES NOT provide method or instructions for users making a recovery partition or fixing broken recovery partitions.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln137768/how-to-perform-imagex-on-a-computer-running-on-windows-vista?lang=en

0x4001100200001012

0x4001100200001005

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 10th, 2017 08:00

Download a Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft, make a Bootable USB and clean install Windows 10 Pro using your Windows 7 Professional OEM Product Key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

No Events found!