Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 4th, 2008 17:00

System Restore Dell Dimension 2400

I have a Dell Demension 2400 with Windows XP home edition. Lately my computer has been acting weird like I have a virus. Now I've been wanting to do a system restore but i have lost the CD. I have tried the Ctrl F11 function but it does not work for me. Now, I have another Dell Dimension 2400 that I have a system restore CD but this one has Windows XP Pro. Can I use this CD to restore my infected system? Any suggestions besides requesting a new CD because Dell will not give me a replacement.

6.4K Posts

August 4th, 2008 18:00

I can't say if it would work or not, but if it did you would be violating the End User License Agreement (EULA).  Your D2400 was sold with Win XP Home and should have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for that operating system glued to its case.  Windows XP Professional is considered to be another operating system and would not be licensed on that computer.  The preferred solution would be to find a Dell labeled OEM Windows XP Home reinstallation disk.  Failing that, I'm afraid the only legal solution is to purchase a full copy of Windows XP Home.  Some of the online computer stores still have them.

2.8K Posts

August 5th, 2008 16:00

atovar,

You can access a form through this that lets you request a set of backup discs from Dell which includes the operating system disc for the version of Windows that originally shipped on your computer & the Resource (driver) CD. Note that the Resource CD almost certainly won't do you any good on a 2400 since that's a fairly old model & the files on the Resource CD are constantly updated to have drivers for currently shipping computers.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2011 06:00

Just thought i'd say that I recently fixed a dimension 2400 using a system restore disk from a different dim 2400.

Seems that as long as its a dell cd, it works.

Both ran the same version of xp however - home edition. Hope this helps.

872 Posts

August 20th, 2011 07:00

872 Posts

August 20th, 2011 07:00

No Events found!