Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 13th, 2008 20:00

System Restore for Dell 2400

I have a dell d2400 and want to restore to original factory settings. 

I have been having issues with system running slow so I upgraded to 1gig memory from the 256... no luck.  deleted a bunch of pitures.. no luck.  Had my brother in law do a restore with the xp disk... but all that did was create a new account.  All my old file info is still on the computer.  I am now trying to load back programs (quicken) and getting errors that the program already exisits... which is part of my old info.

I think best solution at this point is to wipe it all clean and start from scratch.  I have tried ctrl f11 but it doesnt do anything.  I confirmed that i have the unknown partition which is showing as healthy 3.4gb.

I have tried the ctrl f11 key at many different times as the machine is booting but its not working??

What else can I try?? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks ~ Cristy

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2008 20:00

Once you manually install, the quick restore is disabled.  While it can be re-enabled, it's not a trivial undertaking:

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

It may be easier to do a manual install - boot the XP CD, format the drive and install that way.

August 13th, 2008 21:00

"It may be easier to do a manual install - boot the XP CD, format the drive and install that way."  This is what was done that caused this mess?? 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

cristywisty

No, the Dell PC PC Restore by Symantec utility is factory install software and cannot be download, or repaired, except by the method given by Ejn63.

Dell's PC Restore by Symantec utility is installed on Inspiron and Dimension systems shipped on/after 7.16.04.

For computers purchased before that date, the closest to factory settings you can achieve, is a clean reinstall of XP.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

Disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

How to configure a Dell Dimension series system to boot to the CD or DVD drive.

This XP reinstallation guide is excellent, or you can use Dell's XP Restallation Guide here.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

Note: You need not delete the small 40/50mb EISA Partition, if you wish to keep Dell diagnostics on the hard drive.

After installing XP, you should install the drivers and applications in the following order,

Desktop System Software [if applicable]
Chipset
Video
Network Interface Card [NIC]
Audio
Modem
Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, followed by updating the definitions and all the critical Microsoft updates.

Try to note the type of hardware devices you have, prior to reinstalling the operating system. This can help you select and install the correct drivers and applications.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

That was what I thought was done... can I screw it up by doing it again?  We got messages when we reinstalled that said that everything was being deleted... but doesnt seem that happened?

Wow... I have no idea what any of that means! 

Is there some software or something that I can buy that restore this for me?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 13th, 2008 23:00

cristywisty

Just follow the guides I posted, and if you remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted by XP, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, you should be fine.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

August 14th, 2008 00:00

i tried to delete my partition2 but it said that i cant?  says set up is unable to perform the requested operation on the seleted partition.  this partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.

now what?

14.4K Posts

the ESIA partition is a bear to get rid of better off to just leave it.It's actually used with the Dell Diagnostics disk.  Partition 2 is your OS partition. Partition 3 is the recovery partition.

If you want to keep the recovery partition only mess with partition 2

I have loaded the xp disc and come to the part where it asks me about partitions.  i would like to keepthe partion with the restore and hopefully get that fixed for future use.

i have aon option of 3 partions...

partition1  FAT  47 mb

partition2 NTFS 72K mb

partion3 FAT32 3585 mb

is it safe to assume that i want to delete partion 2 & 3?  and leave partition 1 as my restore?  previous message said i should leave the EISA partition but I dont have anything with that name?

thanks

6.4K Posts

August 14th, 2008 01:00

Hi Cristy;

You can't delete the partition because you are not booting from the CD.  The first thing in shesagordie's list is how to set your computer to boot from CD.  Basically there are two methods, both must begin with restarting your computer.  For the F12 method, put your Windows installation disk in the CD ROM drive, restart your computer and tap the F12 key while the Dell logo is still on the screen before Windows starts to load.  If you miss it the first time just restart it and try again.  You will wind up with a list of boot options on the screen.  Use the arrow keys to highlight the CD ROM or type its number so that the computer will boot from the disk.

If that doesn't work for you, you can also tap F2 at the Dell screen which leads you to setup.  Follow the instructions on the screen to scroll down the list to boot order.  On screen instructions tell you how to use your keyboard to put the CD ROM drive first in the boot order.  Make sure your Windows installation disk is in the CD ROM drive, exit from setup saving changes, and follow any special instructions you see on the screen, such as strike any key to boot from CD.

Once you have booted from the CD you should be able to delete the partition and follow the remainder of the instructions in shesagordie's post.

her advice was to delete my partions... setup wont let me delete partition2??  i dont see how I am suppose to complete the set up process.

14.4K Posts

You need to go back to post number 5 from Shesagordie and follow her advice.

You  recovery partition is gone so just work on partitions 2 and 3. 

August 14th, 2008 04:00

well...nothing worked to allow me to delete drive c and i wasnt able to restore over it so i called dell and paid their $50 to talk to some one who killed my hard drive.  now they say i need to buy a new hard drive?

is there a way to to a system reformat of my hard drive so i can avoid buying a new one?

15 Posts

August 15th, 2008 04:00

you can do a Debug on the harddrive using the Dimension Resource cd or a Windows 98 Bootable cd.

15 Posts

August 15th, 2008 04:00

Ran Diags from f12 boot menu on hdd by booting to utility partition.

Message Edited by nidhin0816 on 08-15-2008 10:40 AM
No Events found!