8 Krypton

Re: System Restore for Dell 2400

You need to go back to post number 5 from Shesagordie and follow her advice.

You  recovery partition is gone so just work on partitions 2 and 3. 

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
cristywisty
6 Indium

her advice was to delete my partions... setup wont let me delete partition2??  i dont see how I am suppose to complete the set up process.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Cristy;

You can't delete the partition because you are not booting from the CD.  The first thing in shesagordie's list is how to set your computer to boot from CD.  Basically there are two methods, both must begin with restarting your computer.  For the F12 method, put your Windows installation disk in the CD ROM drive, restart your computer and tap the F12 key while the Dell logo is still on the screen before Windows starts to load.  If you miss it the first time just restart it and try again.  You will wind up with a list of boot options on the screen.  Use the arrow keys to highlight the CD ROM or type its number so that the computer will boot from the disk.

If that doesn't work for you, you can also tap F2 at the Dell screen which leads you to setup.  Follow the instructions on the screen to scroll down the list to boot order.  On screen instructions tell you how to use your keyboard to put the CD ROM drive first in the boot order.  Make sure your Windows installation disk is in the CD ROM drive, exit from setup saving changes, and follow any special instructions you see on the screen, such as strike any key to boot from CD.

Once you have booted from the CD you should be able to delete the partition and follow the remainder of the instructions in shesagordie's post.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
cristywisty
6 Indium

well...nothing worked to allow me to delete drive c and i wasnt able to restore over it so i called dell and paid their $50 to talk to some one who killed my hard drive.  now they say i need to buy a new hard drive?

is there a way to to a system reformat of my hard drive so i can avoid buying a new one?

0 Kudos
nidhin0816
6 Indium

Ran Diags from f12 boot menu on hdd by booting to utility partition.

Message Edited by nidhin0816 on 08-15-2008 10:40 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
nidhin0816
6 Indium

you can do a Debug on the harddrive using the Dimension Resource cd or a Windows 98 Bootable cd.
0 Kudos