Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2010 13:00

System password needed to finish startup!

I am trying to fix my daughters desktop.  It is a Dell 4700 Series desktop, it goes through the loading process at bottom of screen, then loads info concerning Bois and other general info.  Then it is prompting me to type in a "system password",  my daughter does not recall what it is or why her desktop started to ask for this info.  She is not sure if someone has missed with her desktop but has asked me to look at it.  I have tried to get to the setup or boot menu but it won't let me get to those either.  Does anyone else know what I can do to get this issue resolved for her?  Any thoughts or ideas that I might try would be very helpful.  Thanks for any help I might get.

881 Posts

Sometimes when a system suddenly asks for a password simply hitting the enter key will do it.

Jeff

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

decorwin

You could try THIS and see if it makes a difference.

Bev.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2010 14:00

There are at least three possible places for password protection,  The BIOS password covered very well above, a third party security program - too varied to cover here, and the OS password.  With the OS password, if the simple hitting the return key on a blank field  (as suggested above) does not work, you will need to create a password reset disc from a Linux distro boot disc. Google the web for password reset tools.

November 15th, 2010 20:00

There are at least three possible places for password protection,  The BIOS password covered very well above, a third party security program - too varied to cover here, and the OS password.  With the OS password, if the simple hitting the return key on a blank field  (as suggested above) does not work, you will need to create a password reset disc from a Linux distro boot disc. Google the web for password reset tools.

It is exactly what I need, Thanks for your effort!
No Events found!