Highlighted

T1600 permanant high fan speed

I have two identical T1600's, and in one of them, the fans (rear external fan, and cpu fan) both started running at high speed for no apparent reason. As soon as the machine starts up or comes out of sleep, the two fans kick into high gear, and stay at full speed all day long. The other T1600 right next to it does not do this. I am running CPUID hwmonitor on both, and the one with the fans running has lower temperatures across the board than the one with the fan not running on high. The only fan speed that is showing on HWMonitor is the one on the GPU, and it reports to be running at the same speed on both machines.

1) Any idea what may cause these two fans to run at high speed?

2) Any way to override the two fan speeds? There is clearly not a heat issue, so I would like to override them if possible to quiet down the room.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: T1600 permanant high fan speed

Is this a new thing or have they always been like this?

Things to consider:

• Do they have same air flow, eg is one under a desk and the other out in the open? Higher fan speeds may be keeping that one cool(er) only because fans running at full speed so it could be a heat issue.
  • Are they both running same (what?) version of Windows and have same apps (and same versions) running in background?
  • Do they have same version of BIOS?
  • Reboot and press F12. Go to Utility partition and run fan tests (assuming T1600 has diagnostics stored on hard drive)
  • Power and sleep options set differently in Windows and/or in BIOS setup
  • Corrupted video card driver - uninstall existing, reboot and reinstall
  • Heat sink loose and/or thermal paste dried out

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

>Is this a new thing or have they always been like this?

They both have been fine for years, and all of a sudden one of them starts going high speed.

>Do they have same air flow, eg is one under a desk and the other out in the open? Higher fan speeds may be keeping that one cool(er) only because fans running at full speed so it could be a heat issue.

They are sitting next to each other under the desk. The one without the issue is next to the wall so technically would have less access to air flow, but they both have sufficient air flow. There is no temperature issue as per the temperatures reported by hwmonitor

>Are they both running same (what?) version of Windows and have same apps (and same versions) running in background?

Both running windows 7. Similar apps running, nothing that is running high cpu on either.

>Do they have same version of BIOS?

yes

>Power and sleep options set differently in Windows and/or in BIOS setup

no

>Corrupted video card driver - uninstall existing, reboot and reinstall

video card fan is behaving, its the box and the cpu fan that are not

>Heat sink loose and/or thermal paste dried out

Nope. Again not a heat issue, its something else

I will reboot and take a look at the fan diagnostics now.

0 Kudos

I restarted and ran the diagnostics. When it came to the motherboard and the cpu fan, they both functioned correctly. Before each test, they were running 100%, and each one slowed down during the test.

I noticed that the bios was reporting that the temperature was 109C, which it definitely is not. The CPU and drive are both running ~30C and the GPU is running at 48C. Cold air blowing out back of desktop.

Is there a way to override the motherboard/cpu fan speed on the t1600?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If BIOS thinks the temp is 109ºC, then you might have a temp sensor issue (motherboard failure).

You could try resetting BIOS to see if that can fix things.

If clearing BIOS doesn't help and the system is still under warranty, you may need to contact Dell Tech Support.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos