DHCrocks
1 Copper

T3400 RAID installation

I would like to replace  a single non-raid drive with two new drives in RAID 0 configuration.  Is there an easy way to do this without reinstalling windows XP pro 32bit?  the main goal is to add storage space and increase speed.  I was thinking of using 2 10k rpm drives in the RAID 0 setup.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mombodog
6 Thallium

Re: T3400 RAID installation

No easy way.

You could use Acronis software to make a "Full Disk Image" (all partitions) of the current hard drive (verify the image is good), then install your second drive, use the raid config tool during POST to set the raid array up (use 128kb stripe size), then boot from the Acronis boot CD (media builder) you made earlier to restore the backup image you made to the new array.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Remember raid 0 is fast but if one hard drive has issues most likely all your data is lost for good.

Page 47  "Configuring Your Computer For Raid"

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wst3400/en/ug/ug_en.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Allsysgo01
1 Copper

Meanwhile three years later... I know this is late but, in case someone like me is looking for the answer it is on page 56 of the Dell Precision™ Workstation T3400 User’s Guide.

support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wst3400/en/ug/ug_en.pdf

It mainly says to download and install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Go to the Actions Menu and create RAID Volume from an existing hard drive. If you don't see this option change the RAID option in BIOS (F2) to RAID ON. (this is just after the list of drives under Storage).

You really need to know what SATA port (0,1,2,3,4,5) your source drive is on. Usually it is on 0 and the CD is on 1. You can move the CD to 2 and put the second hard drive on 1 just to keep the RAID Array isolated, but enable Sata 2 in BIOS (F2).

If we are moving from a small drive to a larger drive, we use the Western Digital free version of Acronis True Image that you can download from the Western Digital website. (You need to be using at least ONE WD drive for it to work.) This will even move the special partitions from some manufacturers over to the new drive. It will move an 80 GB drive over to a 1TB drive and create a 1TB partition with the same data. Then you can do the array conversion.

Rich

Allsysgo

0 Kudos
mombodog
6 Thallium

Even crazier, I got an email notification on a 3 year old thread!

Thanks, maybe someone using google can benefit from your post.

0 Kudos
retiredvacop
1 Copper

RE: T3400 RAID installation

Even crazier is 3 years after your post, I found what to do with an old T3400 I want to set up as a spare PC running Vista on a RAID 0. I have a couple of 300 GB Velociraptors gathering dust since I upgraded 2 machines to SSDs.

0 Kudos
mombodog
6 Thallium

RE: T3400 RAID installation

The time machine is still working!

0 Kudos