Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

T3600 Windows 10 Upgrade Problems

I am working on upgrading my T3600 desktop to Windows 10 and it is not working. We are loading up our upgrade media on a USB drive like we have done for others in our office but when the setup restarts the first time a screen comes up asking for which keyboard to use and then goes to a troubleshooting screen. The only option that does anything shuts down the computer. Then windows 7 starts up again normally.

9 Posts

July 15th, 2016 11:00

Dell Tech Support could not help me in getting the hard drive moved from the SATA0 port back to the HDD0 port, which is my computer’s original hardware and software configuration.  I had to figure this stuff out by myself.

First, I needed a driver which I did get from Dell. The URL for the driver is:  www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

After you download the driver and install it, you will end up with the folder c:\dell\drivers\JV4JN, with 8 subfolders. You will need one of those later.

Here is what I did to move the drive:

Leave the hard drive connected to the SATA0 port and the DVD drive connected to the SATA1 port; this is the configuration that had allowed me to install Windows 10.

Reboot to get to the BIOS, using either or the menu from which you can select BIOS settings.  Change the SATA/RAID setting to “Enable”.

Reboot. Windows 10 will start up, but it may take longer than it used to.

Go to Device Manager. There will be a new entry, SAS Controller. When you examine its Properties, it will have NO driver installed, so it will not be useable.

Tell Device Manager that you want to install a driver. Tell it that the driver is on your computer. Point to the JV4JN folder. Select the RSTe_f6_iaStorS_win8_64 subfolder. After successful install, the Storage Controller entry in Device Manager will now have a new sub-entry for the SAS/RAID controller.

After the driver is installed, shut down the computer.

Move the hard drive to the HDD0 port; move the DVD drive to the SATA0 port.

Start up Windows. This will take longer, because of the hardware change; Windows is reconfiguring itself for the hardware change.

Eventually, you’ll get the startup splash screen, and you can log in.

9 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 07:00

I am in EXACTLY the same situation that you are in. T3600, upgrade to Windows 10, after reboot it asks about the keyboard region, then blam - troubleshoot or power down. There is no information about what happened and why it failed. Tried 4 times, including after I upgraded drivers using the Dell Upgrade Advisor.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 13:00

After selecting your keyboard it gives you this:

Choose and option
Troubleshoot
>Reset this PC
>Advanced options
>>System Restore
>>System Image Recovery
>>Startup Repair
>>Command Prompt
>>Go back to the previous build
Turn off your PC

None of the options work except for "Turn off your PC".

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 24th, 2016 14:00

Do you have the latest version of BIOS installed (A14)?

Have you tried using a different keyboard and/or a different rear USB port?

If all else fails, you might have to do a clean install rather than an "upgrade" from Win 7. But that means you'll have to backup all the files on external media and reinstall all your software after wiping the drive and installing Win 10.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2016 08:00

Yesterday, I spent 3 hours on the telephone with Dell Technical Support Pro. We tried many things, including reinstalling two drivers (Chipset and Storage Controller) manually, since Dell Driver Detect was not working correctly (it said that my T3600 did not have the drivers, when it did). We also back-rev'd the nVIDIA driver for Win 7 from the latest that I had from nVIDIA to the one that the Dell Driver page recommends. Did not help. Still got the same failure 'instantly' after the keyboard region selection.

The Dell Tech Support guy said that his only recommendation for an immediate resolution was to download an ISO image, put it on a thumbdrive, and install Win 10 from scratch; this I do not want to do, since it will take days to reinstall the programs.

Longer-term, he said that maybe Dell will post a procedure that will allow an upgrade, or that Microsoft will come out with a new build of Windows 10 that will either fix the problem, or provide better troubleshooting than "unknown error".

The BIOS is A14, and has been for a long time.

My keyboard is an older PS/2 keyboard. I like the feel of the keys MUCH better than the Dell USB keyboard that came with the T3600.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2016 13:00

The USB ports will not work until the INTEL XHCI USB 3 Drivers are installed as well as the CHIPSET DRIVERS.  You only have till JULY 29 to do the upgrade.  After that its not free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29

Get the future of Windows while it's still free. Qualified Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices can upgrade for free. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2016 19:00

A quick Google suggests Win 10 will support PS/2 devices but I didn't see anything about upgrading to Win 10 while using PS/2. So give a USB keyboard a try...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2016 19:00

My keyboard is an older PS/2 keyboard. I like the feel of the keys MUCH better than the Dell USB keyboard that came with the T3600.

Oooh! :emotion-3:

Do the upgrade with a USB keyboard connected instead of the PS/2. Then see if you can switch back to your PS/2 keyboard.

To be honest, I don't know if Win 10 has built-in PS/2 port drivers, so you may need to do a little digging to find them once the upgrade is complete...

9 Posts

June 27th, 2016 09:00

I had already worked with the Dell Tech Support guy to update all of the "chipset" drivers (4 of them). This morning, I tried replacing the PS/2 keyboard with the Dell USB keyboard. Results: didn't make any difference - the install still failed immediately after I specified the keyboard region.

1 Message

June 27th, 2016 10:00

I have the same problem, i will subscribe to the thread

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 27th, 2016 12:00

Where did you get the media to do the upgrade? Maybe you need to download the ISO directly from MS?

And which version of Win 7? Win 7 Enterprise isn't eligible for the free upgrade...

9 Posts

June 27th, 2016 15:00

To install, I just invoke the "Get Windows 10" function, and Windows Update would download Win 10. I have Windows 7 Pro, so I am eligible. Since (annoyingly) Windows Update forgets that it already downloaded the Win 10 Update, it has re-downloaded the 3GB package every time I have tried to install Win 10 (8 times, so far). The entire installation procedure takes over 45 minutes, although the actual download time (0% to 100%) is much less than that total time that it takes from "I want to upgrade now" to "the upgrade has failed".

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 27th, 2016 16:00

If it's asking you to "choose your keyboard layout", that seems to be a  frequent upgrade issue and may be related to USB drivers. If you Google the problem, there are claims for various solutions.

Many users end up wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install using a bootable USB stick created using Rufus software (free) and the downloadable Win 10 ISO file (free). The problem with that is you'll have to reinstall all your software and files. So be sure you have the product keys for all software (eg, MS Office, etc) and all personal files are backed up on external media first.

I did see one claim that changing the keyboard layout to US English solved the problem for that user, so make sure that's how your keyboard layout is set in Win 7 before you launch the upgrade.

When Win 10 was first released, you could only upgrade the existing version and not do a clean install. MS fixed that stupid problem and they allow a clean install on a PC that had an activated version of Win 7 or 8.1 without having to upgrade to Win 10 first.

Obviously, I can't make any guarantees that directly doing the clean install will solve your problem...

9 Posts

June 28th, 2016 11:00

First - I was trying to avoid, if at all possible, a 'clean' reinstall of Win 10, because it will take me days of effort to reinstall all programs and to load all data on the computer.

Second - since the upgrade didn't work, I have a concern that the 'clean' install won't work, not only because there might be an underlying issue with T3600s, but also because of the computer's on-board storage controller may prevent installation due to a lack of a driver. With Win 7, Dell provided a work-around (downloading a driver which I loaded from a USB thumbdrive); Win 10, on the other hand, doesn't seem to ask for a driver in that manner.

I was told by Dell Tech Support that they will be trying to do a Win7 -> Win10 upgrade on a T3600 with the same storage controller that I have. No timeframe specified.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 28th, 2016 11:00

I understand perfectly why you want to avoid a clean install...

Dell's support page for this model says they "confirm that it can upgrade to Windows 10". So that makes me wonder if they did an actual upgrade or a clean install. They had to get it to work one way or t'other or they wouldn't say that on their site.

Post back and let us know what happens.  I suppose you could just stay with Win 7 which MS will fully support until Jan, 2020. 

No Events found!