Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2014 15:00

T5500 CPU2 fan failure

Hi I hope someone might be able to give me some advice.

I upgraded a T5500 with the dual CPU board.  The system says CPU2 fan failure however both fans are running (at full speed!)

I then took the same dual CPU board with the same CPU and RAM and put it in another T5500.  In this other machine it works correctly and the fans run quietly and it doesn't give any errors.

The machine with the error was running the latest BIOS.  I tried downgrading the BIOS to A04 like the system that is working correctly.  I also tried re-seating the dual cpu board and removing and replacing the battery from the motherboard but nothing has worked.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 15th, 2014 16:00

Hi Ronjatter,

Try resetting the CMOS. The procedure is in your service manual.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2014 15:00

Thanks,

I reset the CMOS and now it's fine.

3 Posts

February 20th, 2016 22:00

I know this is a very old post, but I bought a T5500 2 weeks ago and am having this exact issue. I have 2 xeon 5670's in and 30gb of RAM (18 on main board and 12 on the riser). I had the system up and running on only 1 5670 for a week and then I got the 2nd CPU riser to put in. The fan is running and the system is showing that there is a second CPU and the RAM is there, but it will not use any of it because it says the 2nd CPU memory fan is not working. I have already reset the CMOS 3 times, and on one of those tries I also took the battery out thinking that would fix it if just resetting the CMOS didn't work. Well I am still getting the Alert when my PC boots up, AND the second CPU and all memory in the riser are going to waste. 

from what I can tell without knowing anything about this workstation I believe there could be a possible 2 solutions to this.

1.) send the CPU riser back and get a new one, meaning the one I have would be defective and the motherboard part of it is not reading that the fan is plugged in and working.

or

2.) There is some alternative workaround for this that nobody on the internet has had to use yet, I only say this because I have been researching this for hours now and everyone else seems to be able to fix it with a simple CMOS reset.

PLEASE HELP!

40 Posts

April 17th, 2016 06:00

Hi were you able to resolve it? I am also facing this issue.

I am having f difficulty following the procedure outlined in service manual.

As in service manual it says to identify 4pin pswd  jumper which I can't.

1.Remove the computer cover.  2.Locate the 4-pin password connector (PSWD) on the system board.  3.Remove the 2-pin jumper plug from pins 3 and 4.  4.Locate the 4-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board.  5.Move the 2-pin jumper plug from the password jumper to pins 1 and 2 of the CMOS jumper.  6.Plug in AC power to the system and wait ten seconds for the CMOS to clear.  7.Move the 2-pin jumper plug back to pins 3 and 4 of the password jumper.  8.Replace the computer cover.  9.Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them

However I followed below procedures to reset cmos.

Removed just power and Vga Cordes and removed the two pin jumper from pswd   and placed it on the cmos rtcrst. Connected power and Vga cables. Left system on for at least 15 seconds then removed power cords and reset jumper to its former position and reconnected the power cables.

3 Posts

April 17th, 2016 06:00

I sent back my entire riser and heatsink/fan and the sellers that I bought from sent me new ones and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure if my problem was in the board or the fan part but I didn't want to risk the eBay return policy ending and sending back the wrong part, so I would suggest just sending them both back. Let them know what's happening and most sellers will send you a new part for free.

40 Posts

April 17th, 2016 07:00

thanks for super quick response.

this riser card is working in other systems perfectly fine. its just this system that i am getting error with.

No Events found!