Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2016 09:00

T7500 Riser Card broken ?

Hi,

I have a T7500 server (or is it considered still a workstation?) which stopped one day with  "uncorrectable memory error in Riser DIMM 3". I tried reseating the memory without success (same error) and after a few changes to the memory ( it has 12x 4GB modules from Hynix 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R) it turns out it runs just fine when I remove all Riser Memory and only keep 6 Motherboard modules. My understanding is that this is not such a great memory configuration and so this morning after an overnight job which ran just fine, I removed DIMM4, 5 and 6 from the MB and moved it to Riser DIMM 1 2 and 3 which I believe is an acceptable configuration. A crash happened after about 10 min.with "Uncorrectable memory error has been previously detected in RISER DIMM 3" - This means that since the memory chip came from the MB that previously worked well overnight, it is not the memory that is broken but the RISER Card perhaps ? Is this right ? If so, can I plug a new one right in after I transfer the memory and the CPU from the old one ? Can this work ?

BTW, when this error occurs, the system offers me to hit F5 for tests: the memory tests run for a while until they freeze without any additional error message. At this point I can do nothing but reboot the hard way.

Thanks,

Lothar

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 16th, 2016 15:00

Did you clear BIOS after installing the new riser, in case that error message is just "left over" from the old riser?

Do you think only one riser RAM slot would be affected by over-heating, regardless of which module is installed?

I'm starting to wonder if the motherboard memory controller has an issue with DIMM3 on the riser, rather than it being that DIMM itself. But lets see what happens after you clear BIOS with the new riser installed...

1 Message

November 7th, 2016 17:00

Hi, It seems we both have pretty much the same issue. I have a dell t7500, with dual xeon 5680 processors. Also, optimistically, 92gb of ram composed of 12x8 gb DIMMS. The problem is that I can't run the system with the riser card installed.  With the riser card the system will boot, but will crash usually within the hour. Ive ruled out both of the CPUs by running the system without the riser card for a few days, then swapping the CPUs without any issues, i've also opted for a minimal ram configuration to rule out any ram issues. 2x8gb DIMMS one on the motherboard and one on the riser card, and the issues still  happen. Ive also replaced those DIMMS for testing purposes without any luck. I also have access to a 2nd riser card which you can guess didnt fix the issue. My tought is that the motherboard is probably the one with the issue, but unless i have another motherboard, i cant really test. Please let me know if you've made any progress on this, or if you think of any other way to continue testing. PS the Bios based hardware tests can only test 8 cores, if you have the dual xeon 5680 configuration, please be aware that only 8 cores will be tested.... hence why i tested the CPUs individually on the main board.

-Thanks,  

No Events found!