Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2007 03:00

THE XPS 700 RESOLUTION THREAD

In anticipation of the long awaited resolution to the XPS 700/710 concerns that have been shared here on the Dell Community Forum, I have asked ChrisM to allow us to begin a new thread that has a NEW emphasis. ChrisM once again, has demonstrated a genuine care and respect for Dell’s customers by allowing the previous thread to reach the 1,500 threshold, and by sticking this new thread at the top for all to see. No one can deny, that Dell has not tried to “hide” the concerns and complaints of its customers, but instead has provided a forum for them to share and be heard.

Sometimes change can be a difficult process, and the cost to all can be significant. There are many here that have been posting since the beginning, when the first thread was stuck at the top last July 3rd, 2006. Eight months and nearly 14,000 posts later, we are beginning to see a light shining on the horizon of Dell’s renewed effort to give customers a much improved experience.

In many ways, what we as customers have been a part of, is potentially a trend that other corporations are going to have to take seriously. What Dell is doing for its customers is seldom, if ever, seen amongst large corporations. Truly listening to its customers and then responding in a humble and meaningful way, is something that most customers have only ‘wished’ for. It has taken some time, but in the end, Michael Dell, the newly announced CEO of Dell, took the initiative and responded directly to our ‘cry’ for an upgrade path for the XPS 700/710 computers.

Because so many Dell customers have had positive experiences in the past, the belief has always been kept alive that Dell would find a way to ensure that Dell’s foundational emphasis on a positive and personal customer experience would find renewed support corporate wide. As Dell works to provide future computer systems that the enthusiast and gamer can be proud to own, it is the hope of all that have shared here on the forum, that Dell’s willingness to turn their failures into a success, will be met with customer excitement.

A corporation’s success, in an ever increasingly competitive market, in the end will be tied to the corporation’s willingness to open its doors to customer input and involvement. From here we made a difference and had an impact that may very well be an important ingredient in a strong and influential corporation’s customer care revitalization. As Jim Collins writes in Good To Great, “All good-to-great companies began the process of finding a path to greatness by confronting the brutal facts of their current reality. It is impossible to make good decisions without infusing the entire process with an honest confrontation of the brutal facts. As a result, they emerged from adversity even stronger.”

May this thread be the beginning of a new chapter for Dell and the XPS 700/710 customers with Dell listening to the voice of its customers, and confronting those realities, so that each of us may experience Dell at its best; turning each reality into success, one by one. Thank you to each and every person that gave so much to make ours and future customers experience a richer one.

Let the posting begin!

Message Edited by gbakmars on 03-08-2007 11:59 PM

44 Posts

July 17th, 2007 13:00

Chris - I am confused... If we bought the system from the outlet, it is NOT in our name?

I tried the transfer form and it is requiring the previous owner's first and last name. Since I bought it from Dell, I have no idea who that is.

Message Edited by cjg1 on 07-17-2007 10:39 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

cjg1, All,

If you purchased an XPS 700 from the DFO (Dell Factory Outlet), please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
Order number:
Reason: DFO XPS 700 purchase. Chris wants to verify that the service tag number is in your name/address etc

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

All,

If you bought the XPS 700 from the Dell Factory Outlet, get the service tag into your name/address etc. as soon as possible.

Transfer of Ownership Form U.S.

198 Posts

July 17th, 2007 14:00

Done.

635 Posts

ChrisM is right,

Sometimes when you purchase from the Outlet, the Warranty information for the Service Tag is not attached to your Order correctly.

Unless you've called for Warranty Support and they found your info with no problems, then I'd call and double check or give ChrisM your info as he requested.

Good luck!

Bub

DELL-ChrisM wrote:
cjg1, All,

If you purchased an XPS 700 from the DFO (Dell Factory Outlet), please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
Order number:
Reason: DFO XPS 700 purchase. Chris wants to verify that the service tag number is in your name/address etc

38 Posts

You dont need this info if I bought it from the dell.com website right?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2007 17:00

Frater0,

Correct.

113 Posts

July 17th, 2007 19:00

Perhaps a blog post and video tutorial titled, "How to Prepare your Dell Outlet Purchased XPS 700 for the Motherboard Upgrade" is needed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2007 20:00

rachet26, all,

Perhaps a blog post and video tutorial titled, "How to Prepare your Dell Outlet Purchased XPS 700 for the Motherboard Upgrade" is needed?
* Once we get the refurbished owner tied to the service tag, they will use the same preparation as a new owner.

Lionel just posted here with an update.

14.4K Posts

July 17th, 2007 20:00

just curious...
since there is a shortage of processores wonder what that will do to the processor upgrade part of the MB upgrade...

807 Posts

July 17th, 2007 21:00

Davet50 wrote:
just curious...
since there is a shortage of processores wonder what that will do to the processor upgrade part of the MB upgrade...

Rampant speculation to follow...

IMO, it will not effect the processor upgrade since the discounted price from Dell will most likely be higher than the price you would pay an online retailer. I'll be buying from Newegg or the like. 

67 Posts

ChrisM,

Done. 

Thank you and any others who are responsible for catching this potential problem in the records on file at Dell for those of us who purchased our 700's from the DFO.  Your foresight probably saved us at least a bit of a delay in getting our motherboard kits -- and you saved us a whole lot of frustration for sure.

This, I am sure, is one of the better examples of why it is important for you and Lionel and others to be sure all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.  Good job!

Arlen

44 Posts

I may be wrong about this (and it won't be the first time...), but I believe the shortage is on the Bin+3 capable QX6800 processors. I'm pretty sure the processor upgrade option offered to the XPS700 owners is only for the QX6700. Even if it were the QX6800, it seems to me that we would still be OK, since the QX6800 processors are still being offered on the non-H2C version of the 720 since they are not clocked at Bin+3.

3.3K Posts

July 17th, 2007 22:00

Thanks ChrisM

2.3K Posts

July 17th, 2007 22:00

Davet50;

cjg1's answer is the correct one.... but I LOVE CHSI's answer better ;)

--------------------------------------
cjg1 wrote:
I may be wrong about this (and it won't be the first time...), but I believe the shortage is on the Bin+3 capable QX6800 processors. I'm pretty sure the processor upgrade option offered to the XPS700 owners is only for the QX6700. Even if it were the QX6800, it seems to me that we would still be OK, since the QX6800 processors are still being offered on the non-H2C version of the 720 since they are not clocked at Bin+3.

CHSIsupplier wrote:

Davet50 wrote:
just curious...

Rampant speculation to follow...

IMO, it will not effect the processor upgrade since the discounted price from Dell will most likely be higher than the price you would pay an online retailer. I'll be buying from Newegg or the like. 

Peace

No Events found!