Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2007 03:00

THE XPS 700 RESOLUTION THREAD

In anticipation of the long awaited resolution to the XPS 700/710 concerns that have been shared here on the Dell Community Forum, I have asked ChrisM to allow us to begin a new thread that has a NEW emphasis. ChrisM once again, has demonstrated a genuine care and respect for Dell’s customers by allowing the previous thread to reach the 1,500 threshold, and by sticking this new thread at the top for all to see. No one can deny, that Dell has not tried to “hide” the concerns and complaints of its customers, but instead has provided a forum for them to share and be heard.

Sometimes change can be a difficult process, and the cost to all can be significant. There are many here that have been posting since the beginning, when the first thread was stuck at the top last July 3rd, 2006. Eight months and nearly 14,000 posts later, we are beginning to see a light shining on the horizon of Dell’s renewed effort to give customers a much improved experience.

In many ways, what we as customers have been a part of, is potentially a trend that other corporations are going to have to take seriously. What Dell is doing for its customers is seldom, if ever, seen amongst large corporations. Truly listening to its customers and then responding in a humble and meaningful way, is something that most customers have only ‘wished’ for. It has taken some time, but in the end, Michael Dell, the newly announced CEO of Dell, took the initiative and responded directly to our ‘cry’ for an upgrade path for the XPS 700/710 computers.

Because so many Dell customers have had positive experiences in the past, the belief has always been kept alive that Dell would find a way to ensure that Dell’s foundational emphasis on a positive and personal customer experience would find renewed support corporate wide. As Dell works to provide future computer systems that the enthusiast and gamer can be proud to own, it is the hope of all that have shared here on the forum, that Dell’s willingness to turn their failures into a success, will be met with customer excitement.

A corporation’s success, in an ever increasingly competitive market, in the end will be tied to the corporation’s willingness to open its doors to customer input and involvement. From here we made a difference and had an impact that may very well be an important ingredient in a strong and influential corporation’s customer care revitalization. As Jim Collins writes in Good To Great, “All good-to-great companies began the process of finding a path to greatness by confronting the brutal facts of their current reality. It is impossible to make good decisions without infusing the entire process with an honest confrontation of the brutal facts. As a result, they emerged from adversity even stronger.”

May this thread be the beginning of a new chapter for Dell and the XPS 700/710 customers with Dell listening to the voice of its customers, and confronting those realities, so that each of us may experience Dell at its best; turning each reality into success, one by one. Thank you to each and every person that gave so much to make ours and future customers experience a richer one.

Let the posting begin!

Message Edited by gbakmars on 03-08-2007 11:59 PM

May 29th, 2011 14:00

As a Dell Consumer over 15 years.  I have run the gamut of frustration to a Devoted Dell Consumer. I began this with a long Bio intro. I have decided to provide you with the reason for posting a reply to the XPS thread. Which is due to the content reference to Dell Customer improvements and commitments described within the post by gbakmars on 03-09-2007 11:55 AM.

I have found that Dell has worked very hard to provide the quality tech support that some OEM’s should envy.

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit has brought with it many generic drivers. It is a great attempt to help consumers upgrade to Windows 7 with fewer headaches, however as I am sure you are all aware generic drivers don’t always work best mostly due to the proprietary OEM hardware which doesn’t fit the bill.  

It’s hard to get everything perfect on so many custom proprietary hardware systems and different OEM’s handles these issues differently.  However through my work with Dell, I have found this to be the one OEM that will listen, and will work with you to make the changes you suggest if it makes since.  

I have found hardware .inf’s written for Vista drivers on Dell on systems, some changes were made after they reviewed them.  At the risk of being repetitive, most important to me was that Dell listened.

To make my point regarding the truth my comments. I found that Dell Support Center 2.0 (which only supported XP) and after my research found that Dell had purchased the updated version of 3.0 for Windows Vista and Windows 7 however the software was not placed on Dell systems. After bringing this to their attention I felted rewarded because as I was working of these systems I would find that the update to this was sent out to all Dell system owners two weeks after my email.

As well as the many issue I had with a Dell Laptop I purchased the beginning of 2010.  I was rewarded again by the persistence of Dells commitment to make things right. It was replaced with an XPS L701X Laptop which is very close to the original order however that system was no longer available.  This laptop supersedes my expectations and knock on wood I have not had one only one very small issue with it in over 6 months.    

Since I own a very small business and cater it to small business who do not have on site IT’s.  Not many of the Dell Corporate personal or Dell 2 Dell Forms know me.  I wanted to add a small personal bio as an introduction with the hope that you will understand how I feel about the industry as a whole how I have seen Dell evolved.

I started my small business during the beginning of Microsoft’s Media Center. Sold on OEM PC’s, which was developed by Microsoft but not covered by Microsoft (quoting the OEM proprietary), which I came to find as a joke since the only thing added to the Microsoft OS was Sonic.  However as you know this also about the time was when we .net began to see more of the integration with the OS.

After leaving my MG position in a Cable Company, I took on the care of the elderly.  I became aware of the need for better intervention for the personal computers owned by the elderly.  It was clear they were trying to keep up as our generation pushed them to keep all there important Medical data and other info on PC’s that they didn’t understand.  They would send it into an OEM for repairs if under warranty or pay for tech support.  Each time I found their data on these systems were never backed up  so much of this data was at times medically information and gone.  

Then we began the long road with Intel and their 8D smoking hot cores which provided me with the ability to help heat my home (and burn up motherboards).  It wasn’t enough that Dell and other OEM’s had to deal with this, but it became clear to me that most OEM techs had very little knowledge of the OS.

Through my own frustrations with the lack of support for the OS.   I took up the challenge to personally education myself on all aspects of Microsoft OS and as much hardware that I could keep up with.

I found so much pleasure and an addiction to the learning process it wasn’t long before I started my business. At first it was it repairs hardware and software for personal systems and now I have the pleasure of supporting a few small business’s as on offsite IT support for hardware and software support.  At the same time I try to help them become self-supportive and safe. I also assist them with upgrade purchase  that would work within their budget.   In addition I work consumers with personal PC’s on repairs or new making a purchase that would suite their budget and personal needs.  Needless to say I don’t advertise or maintain a Web Site.  I have enough on my plate to keep me busy.

1 Message

July 28th, 2013 08:00

I have just bought a Dell XPS 8500 Intel i7 - I have tried to diagnose my computer - after 8 hours the dell diagnostics was not ready while it is estimated that it will finish about 1 hour. What happened?

No Events found!