Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2007 17:00

TV Tuner..

Hope I am in the right part of the forum... if not- please direct! I have a Dimension 520.. It has a TV Tuner and am running Media Center 2002. What do I need to do to connect my computer to my DirectTV receiver?? What kind of cords etc and where do they go??? Any assistance is most appreciated! Thanks

12.7K Posts

March 14th, 2007 18:00

You connect it just like a TV, using a coax cable, set the tv tuner card to channel 3 or 4, matching the Direct TV box setting.

371 Posts

March 15th, 2007 20:00

thenagtx wrote:
Hope I am in the right part of the forum... if not- please direct! I have a Dimension 520.. It has a TV Tuner and am running Media Center 2002. What do I need to do to connect my computer to my DirectTV receiver?? What kind of cords etc and where do they go??? Any assistance is most appreciated! Thanks

First you have Media Center 2005.

The 2002 version information you're seeing in System Properties is your Windows XP version information and as such is correct.

To see your Media Center Edition version start Media Center and click Settings> General> About Media Center> Software Version.

Instructions for connecting to a set-top box can be seen @

Note, if you have a dual tuner and want to take advantage of the ability to either watch one and record another channel and/or record two channels at the same time you'll need two set-top boxes. It is also possible that if you have a dual tuner it may require the use of composite, component or s-video connections from your receiver(s).

55 Posts

March 16th, 2007 01:00

Thanks Datapod! That helped alot. The link had good information also. It didnt address what to do in my situation... How do I hook my PC to the receiver AND keep my TV hooked up as well on the same receiver... I know there is a way to do it.. just not quite sure how..........

55 Posts

March 16th, 2007 01:00

Also looks like I am goin to hae trouble with the remote.. too much distance for the remote sensor to plug into a USB on the PC and the receiver box... Can this work without the remote? Just usin the remote that came with the TV to change channels etc...??

41 Posts

March 16th, 2007 17:00

Hi Nag,

You'll need to run a cable like the one in this link from the output of the TV to the input of the TV tuner in your computer.

After that, just "tune into" Channel 3 or 4 on the computer's tuner and you should be set to go. If you can see the picture on the computer, then you should be able to use your DirectTV remote to change channels just like you would with a regular TV.

55 Posts

March 16th, 2007 19:00

so I go from the TV to the PC?? I thought I went from the receiver box to the PC..?? The coax cable space is used on the receiver box so I bought an SVideo cable.. there is a place for SVideo on my PC also.. Will this not work? I havent opened this cable yet so can take it back and exchange it... But if there is a coax output on TV that goes to PC... that cable is much cheaper:) Will both ways work- only one way- which is better?

55 Posts

March 16th, 2007 21:00

OK I have looked over several of these sites that you linked.... It looks like if I get a splitter and coax cable one going from the receiver to PC and one going from receiver to TV then I have it... Am I looking at this right?? Or can I use the coax as it is now from receiver to TV then an SVideo from receiver to PC or vice versa???

371 Posts

March 16th, 2007 21:00

thenagtx wrote:
so I go from the TV to the PC?? I thought I went from the receiver box to the PC..?? The coax cable space is used on the receiver box so I bought an SVideo cable.. there is a place for SVideo on my PC also.. Will this not work? I havent opened this cable yet so can take it back and exchange it... But if there is a coax output on TV that goes to PC... that cable is much cheaper:) Will both ways work- only one way- which is better?

No you don't go from the TV to the PC and you don't just "tune into" Channel 3 or 4 on the computer's tuner. You're getting advice from folks, while I'm sure well intentioned, are apparently unfamiliar with Windows Media Center Edition.

You can either;

A.) Connect your current receiver to the tuner card in your computer and then connect a video output from the computers video card to the TV.

or

B.) Get a seperate receiver (or as I previously mentioned two if you have a dual tuner) for the computer and leave your current receiver attached to the t.v. as it is now.  (You could, I suppose, switch it back and forth betwenn the two but, that would get old real fast.)

Option 'A' has the advantage of being able to use the computer and Media Center for a "Tivo" like live television experience.

Media Center allows you to pause/fast forward/rewind live t.v. as well as the use the Media Center  "EPG" (electronic program guide) to schedule recordings using a graphical interface like Tivo (without the fee :) . To accomplish this the computer has to have control of the set-top box(s). (This is why the "just tune to channel 3" thing won't work.)

The Web site I previously directed you to correctly explains how to connect the infrared reciever to the computer and then the infrared transmitter(s) to control the receiver(s).

Option 'B' has the advantage of keeping the current t.v. setup as is so the computer doesn't have to be in the loop just watch t.v. You will still have Media Center's "Tivo" features but only on the computer.

Some Media Center resources you might find helpful;

55 Posts

March 17th, 2007 03:00

I currently set it up this way: coax from receiver to TV and SVideo cable from receiver to PC. Now when I go into Media Center- TV.. It goes to set up. so far so good.... but thenn.. it wont ever finish setting up. I have tried automatic nd manual.. It shows a signal and I see a small screen with the TV pic on it and it is what is playing.. but then when setting up it tries to set up my remote and hangs up on not recognizing remote.. going at it the other way it gives 28 possible codes to try- I have tried each one 3 times now.. changing some info each time and still end with finishing set up with no changes.. So I still cant watch TV or do anything on it... Any suggestions???
No Events found!