Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 27th, 2005 12:00

TV tuner Card

I have a precision 670, dual 3 gig, 1 gig ram and a gforce 6600gt pci-e card, I tried to add a PCI TV tuner card ( Hauppauge 350) and the computer won't even turn on if the card is in on of the pci-x64 slots, but if I move the sound blaster down to a pci-x64 slot and put the TV card in the PCI slot it works fine, the problem is the card is thick due to the tuner and causes my video card to over heat, I have not tried this since bios a03 does anyone else have these problems, or know of a good pci-x64 tv tuner card with a hardware encoder??

Thanx
Carlos

171 Posts

October 7th, 2005 16:00

@fraghead5 wrote:
I have a precision 670, dual 3 gig, 1 gig ram and a gforce 6600gt pci-e card, I tried to add a PCI TV tuner card ( Hauppauge 350) and the computer won't even turn on if the card is in on of the pci-x64 slots, but if I move the sound blaster down to a pci-x64 slot and put the TV card in the PCI slot it works fine, the problem is the card is thick due to the tuner and causes my video card to over heat, I have not tried this since bios a03 does anyone else have these problems, or know of a good pci-x64 tv tuner card with a hardware encoder??

I use an ATI TV Wonder Elite in one fo the PCI-X Slots with no issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2005 22:00

There are ATI TV wonders that hook up via USB. Hauppuage makes a PVR that hooks up this way via usb EXTERNALLY. No conflicts that way.

5 Posts

November 1st, 2005 01:00

I got the ATI TV wonder elite remote control edition, great card, but the software is lacking!

3 Posts

December 15th, 2005 13:00

Obviously my reply is late but it may help others...

This is a known problem with the workstations (at least) ... been there, done that. 

Contact Haupauge... they can usually replace your PCI card (depending upon serial number of the card, I gather) with one that will work in PCI-x slots for some Dells having this problem.  BUT after that, the card will not work in standard PCI slots.  Dell and Hauppauge do not seem to agree as to who is responsible.  I recall that they said their dual tuner card woudl work as-is but I found that was false although it boots up and SEEMS to work once, but won't on reboot.  Seemed like a driver problem in that case.

Good luck.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 14th, 2006 04:00

PCI -X requires 3.3v signaling.

Revision 2.3 makes a significant step in migrating the PCI bus from the original 5.0 volt signaling to a 3.3 volt signaling bus. Revision 2.3 supports the 5V and 3.3V keyed system board connectors (as did revision 2.2) but revision 2.3 supports only the 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards. The 5V keyed add-in card is not supported in revision 2.3. PCI 66, PCI-X, Mini PCI, and Low Profile PCI support only 3.3 volt signaling on 3.3V keyed system board connectors and 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards.

Thats not dells fault that the spec changed AFTER the system was designed.
No Events found!