Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 25th, 2010 21:00

Thermal Event Shutdown Dell 4700C

Hi, I have a dell 4700C Dimension desktop and recently the fan started making loud noises and started getting failure of fan messages. Now My pc just turns off and i get the thermal event failure message. Theres 2 fans, i cleaned cooling fan and other one.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2010 22:00

Hey i posted a picture after i removed the heatsink, is that normal some of them have some stuff ontop.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Amoldeep

Yes, that's normal, the base of Dell's heatsinks that fit against the processor have a thermal pad.

Whenever you remove a heatsink from the motherboard, it is advisable to clean the base and top of the processor, then reapply a thermal compound, as directed.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You only need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

The 4700c Heatsink Assembly, consists of two parts, [1] The fan/blower assembly. [2] The heatsink, that sits on top of the processor.

The fan assembly can be detached from the heatsink, but it's not advisable to remove the heatsink from the motherboard, for cleaning

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Amoldeep

You can find the Dimension 4700c Service Manual HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

, scroll down to the 'Processor' section.

Also, check the heatsink's cooling fins and the air intakes in the panel are clean.

Buy a can of compressed air from a computer store, or WalMart to clean the dust from the fans and heatsink, read the instructions for used the canned air, before using, there should be no need to remove the fans and heatsink.

While the case is open, check that the processor and Chipset heatsinks are still firmly attached to the motherboard.

Bev.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2010 23:00

ThanKs BeV

LastlY are mY capicitators thoSE baterY lookING thiNgs BurnT?

288 Posts

January 26th, 2010 04:00

Yes, looking at the photo I see posted it does look like your capacitors are burnt. You will need a replacement Motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2010 08:00

ThanKs BeV

LastlY are mY capicitators thoSE baterY lookING thiNgs BurnT?

Amoldeep

I'm sorry, I cannot tell from your image, if the capacitors are burnt.

You need to check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat and clean.

The image HERE may help you identify any bad capacitors.

Bev.

No Events found!