Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2010 18:00

Thermal solution compromised - Replace cover and reboot. - Message

Hi I keep getting this message when I turn my computer on. It happens right after the bios screen.

"Thermal solution compromised. Replace cover and reboot"

How can I fix this issue. The fan ends up going very fast and very loud if I continue to use the computer after I get this message.

It did this 2 weeks ago and I changed the "Case untrusion" setting in the bios to "off" and it seemed like it fixed the issue but now it started up again. I haven't opened the case in a long time and have not added any new hardware in a good 6 months.

Should I try unpluging the case switch from the motherboard or is that a bad idea?

I am using the Dell Precision T5400. Bios Version A05

Things I checked are:

- The cover is on.

- My CPU tempature is 32 to 34 C which normal ( I do have two CPUS but have not touched them at all in a good year or two)

- There is only one fan in this unit and it seems to be spinning properly.

Thanks

5 Posts

April 12th, 2011 08:00

Hi yes I did fix it!

I bought a new chassis switch and haven't had the problem since. You wont find one brand new but refurbished ones should be out there.

I tried to get it through Dell but it kept going on backorder for weeks which was annoying so I ended up getting it through someone else.

I can't remeber where I bought it from?? I think I just googled my DEll model and chasis switch and it came up somewhere.

Good luck!

1 Message

June 26th, 2014 20:00

This solution solved the problem for me.

I had a Dell Precision 490 that kept on saying "thermal solution compromised" from cold start-up. 

I opened up the case, and taped the little black plastic switch (also called the chassis intrusion switch). This is basically a push-button which in my computer slotted into a metal tab opening in the chassis at the rear of the case when you open it up (if you're looking at it from the front). and detects if the case side panel is open. This is clearly malfunctioning somehow which is causing the error (possibly the case doesn't fully depress the button when closed).

By taping the switch in the down / pushed-in position, this solves the problem and the computer boots-up absolutely fine. We left the switch hanging inside the case and closed it up; I suppose you could also put it back in its former position and tape over the top to keep it pressed down too.

If you google "chassis switch NF083" you can see what it looks like.

I can't imagine any negative effect that this would have, as it's not overriding anything significant and solves the problem without having to buy anything, spend hours to technical support, unplugging anything etc. All you need is a bit of tape and 2mins!

This is all working very happily for me still - hope this helps other people too.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 18th, 2010 19:00

Are CPU temps "normal" simply because the fan is "going very fast and very loud"?

First check that the intrusion switch is working. Power off and unplug from the wall. Open the case and check the switch. And maybe spray a bit of electronic contact cleaner on the switch to make sure it's working correctly.

You may also need to check that the heat sink (HOT!!) is still properly attached to the CPU. And if necessary remove it, apply new thermal paste (eg, Arctic Silver) and reinstall the heat sink. See the manual for instructions about the heat sink.

Ron

5 Posts

April 19th, 2010 00:00

Thanks for the response.

I checked some things and I don’t think it’s the heat sync on CPUs because when I am able to get it where the fan runs normal the CPU temperature stays normal. For example I just had it running for 8 hours with normal fan speed and my CPU temperature is still normal (around 37 C). I would think with the fan running normal with a loose heat sync the CPU temperature would get pretty high.  I also checked the heat syncs and they are locked on there pretty well by the latches. They aren’t loose or anything.

The ironic thing is I only have had this issue from a cold start.  It seems if I let the computer run for a couple minutes while the fan is running top speed and I then restart the computer it sometimes doesn’t give me the error and the fan runs normal speed

I tried cleaning the switch I’ll see what happens, I’m not sure how to test the switch?

Is there somewhere on Dells site where I can order a new replacement switch?  I might just try to buy one and go from there. I only seem to be able to find a refurbished one on the site. I think it’s part NF083.

Thanks for the help

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 19th, 2010 10:00

For a part like that, you'll probably have to contact Dell Spare Parts.

7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday

1-800-357-3355

Have your Service Tag handy when you call.

It could be the fan doesn't rev up fast enough from a cold start so you get that alert. Once the fan is warm, it revs up "normally".  The other possibility is that the temp sensor is failing and doesn't register when cold, but works when warm. On some Dell systems, the sensor is in the fan. So you may actually have a fan problem.

Bottom line: keep an eye on those temps. :emotion-5:

Ron

5 Posts

April 19th, 2010 20:00

Yeah you know the fan / sensor would make sense. I might start with that so far it hasn't done it again so I'll see.

Thanks for the help.

6 Posts

April 12th, 2011 05:00

Hi Sherbert19,

Did you fixed your thermal solution compromised issue? I have exact the same issue as you description. Hopes I can get some information from you.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2011 06:00

Tianyun,

Best to start a new thread than try to revive a year old thread. 

Post your PC Model Number, Operating System and any other supporting info than what you've posted.

1 Message

March 30th, 2014 13:00

My dell 690 got same problem a month ago. Eventually I find the chassis intrusion switch from the 690 manual. I tape the end that touches the cover so that the computer feels that it is covered even when the cover is removed. So far the problem solved as long as the tap holds.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2016 02:00

Dear Sherbert,

Could you pls kindly email me the part number, so that I could buy the chassis switch. I Have the same problem too.

Many thanks.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2016 03:00

Dear Harrylime,

I have follow your steps, push-in the switch, but it doesn't work with me. Is the NF083 the right part number for precision 490? I plan to buy one online.

Many thanks.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2016 16:00

Hi I don't have the PC anymore but when I look at my receipts it does say it's "NF083".  Just make sure your model is listed as the compatible model from the seller and you should be good.

Thanks

1 Message

August 29th, 2017 12:00

You can fix it with a jumper (like from an old CD-ROM drive). Remove the chassis intrusion switch, and throw it in the garbage. Then use a jumper to jump pins 2 and 3. This worked for me. I also disabled the thermal security in the bios, but that alone didn't seem to work before. I have a Dell Precision 690 server. More information : The  chassis intrusion switch does this : pins 2 and 3 are always closed. Pins 1 and 2 are closed when the case is open. So, the chassis intrusion switch can be replaced by a jumper which bridges pins 2 and 3 :)

No Events found!