Highlighted
Gerard Abrams
1 Nickel

This is a Dimension 3000 running Windows XP that wont start

When i press the power button on the front face of my computer, the screen on my monitor is blank, all i get is an amber light to the left of the power button lit, on this Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP, i hear nothing running, the fan motor in the back of the computer is not spinning anymore either and no other noises are heard as well, just that amber light to the left of the power button is lit, naturally i tried plugging and unplugging several times, and pushing the power button several times and a different monitor, i even opened it up and vacuumed it after this happened (not before) and checked the connections, anyone familiar with this? My guess is the power supply, that rectangular box in the back top of the computer, with connections to the drives, the mobo, and a fan, if so is that what you call the power supply? is it easily replaced? im pretty handy  thanks 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: This is a Dimension 3000 running Windows XP that wont start

Hi Gerard,

Is the amber light blinking? That would be the sign of a bad power supply.

To answer your question, yes, it's easily replaced, but you need to make sure that's the problem first.

0 Kudos
Gerard Abrams
1 Nickel

Yes, its a blinking amber light to the left of the power button. Is there a simple test of the power supply or should I just replace it with a similar one? The machine is 10 years old

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

No, there's no sure fire test except to install a new PSU. Keep in mind you need a power supply with the older molex type drive connectors. You might just want to search the internet for "Dimension 3000 power supply". Shouldn't be hard to find one.

0 Kudos
Gerard Abrams
1 Nickel

What about this from a previous question:

"If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following to test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and if power supply fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the back panel, then it would appear that the motherboard has died."

If so which green wire to black wire are they describing above, just any two on the 20-pin connector?

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Gerard Abrams

There should be only one Green wire in the 20-pin connector, this is 'jumped' to anyone of the Black wires.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/techov.htm#wp1043338

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

FYI,The Dimension 3000 has an open back panel, most standard generic stock ATX PSU's, with or without the on/off switch and with either a 20-pin or 20 + 4-pin main motherboard connector, can be installed.

You should be able to buy the power supply unit from a local computer store or from any online vendor.

How to replace the PSU in a D-3000.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Gerard Abrams
1 Nickel

With the computer not connected to a monitor, keyboard or mouse and with the side panel removed and the PSU fully connected, the small green light on the mobo, the standby power light becomes illuminated immediately once the PSU is plugged into an electric outlet.

Does this mean the mobo is good?

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

With the computer not connected to a monitor, keyboard or mouse and with the side panel removed and the PSU fully connected, the small green light on the mobo, the standby power light becomes illuminated immediately once the PSU is plugged into an electric outlet.

Does this mean the mobo is good?

Gerard Abrams

No, you also have to consider the four diagnostic lights on the back panel, the 'Beep' codes and the power button LED.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                    

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos