Highlighted
Kiawi
1 Copper

Trouble setting up 3 monitors on a Dell Precision T3500

The computer has an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420.  I have 3 monitors using straight DVI to DVI cables.  Only the monitor connected to monitor input 1 will work.  Windows only detects 1 monitor.  I have connected the other monitors to monitor input 1 and they all work.  I have updated the Nvidia drivers and it works the same.  I have moved the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420 to the second PCI slot on the mother board and it works the same. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
7 Plutonium

RE: Trouble setting up 3 monitors on a Dell Precision T3500

The nvs 420 is a legacy end of life card.  ATI and NVIDIA routinely DROP SUPPORT for older cards.

This means you are using windows 7 or 8 or 10 with a 2007 windows vista card.

The Default VGA driver does not support more than 1 monitor.

The NVS 420 became END OF LIFE END OF SUPPORT in 2014.

This means that driver updates DID NOT Go past version 340.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473/~/eol-windows-driver-support-for-legacy-prod...

This means that ANY of the Driver versions past the legacy will not even see that the NVS 420 is installed.  The Release 340 drivers will continue to support these products until April 1, 2016, and the NVIDIA support team will continue to address driver issues for these products in driver branches up to and including Release 340. However, future driver enhancements and optimizations in driver releases after Release 340 will not support these products.

QUADRO DESKTOP DRIVER BRANCH 340 U14

64 BIT

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/110262/en-us

32 BIT

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/110261/en-us

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Kiawi
1 Copper

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  This computer was originally shipped from Dell with Windows 7 and the card did display 4 monitors at that time.  Since then, the hard drive did fail and I reinstalled Windows 7--not a Dell recovery.  Was there a special Dell driver or tweak that made it work?  Right now, I an running Nvidia driver 21.21.13.4200 10/18/2016.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

releases after Release 340 will not support these products.  You are using 342.00

I linked the VERY LAST Driver.  

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Kiawi
1 Copper

I originally installed driver version 8.17.12.6687 1/28/2011 downloaded from the Dell website and there was no change.  Then I went up to the 340 version.  I just finished changing the driver to 9.18.13.4084 9/12/2014 which is the last 340 version.  Still no change.  I have also installed the bios version A17 driver from the Dell website.

0 Kudos
Kiawi
1 Copper

Problem solved.  I replaced the VHDCI24DVI VHDCI(M) to 4-Port DVI-D(F) Splitter Breakout Cable for NVIDIA and VisionTek Graphics Cards.  All 3 monitors now work.

0 Kudos