Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2014 06:00

Trouble shooting windows 8 AHCI mode bios glitch dell dimension 9200c (for SSDs)

First off I do not know why this happens but it does me and my bother both have this computer and I have found a fix for this it should work with xps 210 as well

Okay so for people who will be wanting to activate AHCI and do a clean install of windows 8 there is a glitch in the bios I found that if you format the SSD to remove your old os to install windows 8 for some reason the bios with freeze up at the AHCI screen and will become completely in accessable you will not be able to go to the boot menu or enter bios setup at all however this can be fixed. Unplug the power from your computer and remove you SSD then boot up the computer without the SSD installed. Hit f2 repeatedly until it says entering set up you will be able to go past the AHCI screen and enter the bios setup set your bios back to ata mode then power off your computer and reinstall your SSD. Turn your compter back on and boot from the device you are installing windows 8 from. When windows 8 asks you for custom or upgrade pick custom and it will show you the SSD and you will find that the SSD has data on it from the previous windows 8 installation attempt delete all the partitions that the previous windows 8 made untill you are left with just unallocated space. (DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 8 RIGHT AFTER THIS) After you have deleted the partitions restart your computer and press f2 to get into the bios and renable AHCI mode. Then install windows 8 normally and it should be fine.

July 13th, 2014 06:00

I was able to repeat the ahci freeze on 1 9200c computer and 1 xps 210 it happens when you format windows 7 and install windows 8 with ahci mode enabled. It doesnt happen if you install windows 8 to a already blank ssd or upgrade your os.

July 14th, 2014 08:00

I was able to repeat this problem with a samgsung evo 840 250GB and a Curcial M550 512GB SSD the same issue occured in both ssds on both the xps 210 and 9200c the both have the same bios so I assumed thats probably the issue both have the 2.4.0 bios update from dell.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 14th, 2014 08:00

I have never had this issue with Samsung 840 SSD's or Crucial M4, or INTEL 5XX series. Sounds more like a firmware issue on your brand SSD.

No Events found!