Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2011 20:00

Trying to download a driver...

Ok, I have no clue what I'm doing, so (obviously) I need some help!  A couple of weeks ago, I had the brilliant idea of "cleaning up" my computer myself (instead of having a professional do it) and apparently deleted something that is needed for my speakers to play. 

Just to answer the obvious questions:

I HAVE shut down and restarted my computer.

It is NOT on mute.

I've tried "install new hardware" and it says it does not detect any hardware (I've checked multiple times and the speakers are plugged in correctly).

The speakers definitely DO work (tried them on the laptop and they work just fine). 

So I had someone suggest coming here and downloading a driver (or something like that - really don't know all the technical lingo).  I was using the "Downloading and Installing drivers using the Dell Download Manager" page (link: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=04&docid=266471&l=en&s=bsd)  Step #12 is where I get stuck.  It says I'm supposed to doubleclick the download file.  Well, when I do that, it wants me to pick a program that I want to use to open the file and none of them work.  Supposedly a small window is supposed to appear with the "continue" and "exit" buttons and I'm supposed to click "continue."  (This is step #13.)  I can't get beyond this step, because I do NOT have those options. 

Any ideas?  :) 

729 Posts

July 24th, 2011 01:00

Clear your browser cache and download the driver using the browser instead of the Download Manager.  Download to you desktop and double-click once it's finished.

4 Posts

July 26th, 2011 16:00

Nevermind!  I got it!  Thank you so much for your help - that worked perfectly and my speakers work now!

4 Posts

July 26th, 2011 16:00

Thanks so much!!  I cleared the cache, but I don't know how to download the driver using the browser instead of the Download Manager - is there an easy way to explain that?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 29th, 2011 11:00

Try using ccleaner and defraggler for a general clean up your computer. (They are free).
Also if you are wanting to remove some programs ask on the forums and folk will tell you what they do/if its safe to remove them.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2011 12:00

Thank you for the tips!  I'll be sure to remember for next time!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 29th, 2011 12:00

Sure no problem. See here for some useful mainly free software. I have briefly explained how each works and provided download links.

July 29th, 2011 15:00

please let us know the computer model name and the OS you are using. i.e. XP, Vista or 7

No Events found!