Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

July 15th, 2009 06:00

Trying to install Windows XP on Dell Dimension 8400

Hello.

I have installed a new Seagate 500GB hard drive.  When I try to install Windows XP Home Edition onto the new hard drive, the end result is the blue screen of death that shows the error; "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT".

Also here are a few things that maybe contributing to the problem:

1.  The Seagate Manual states:   "Older 1.5Gb/sec SATA motherboards and host controllers equipped with VIA, VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760 and SIS964 do not support auto speed negotiation with newer 3.0Gbit drives.  Systems with these chipsets will hang, lock-up, or fail to detect during boot."  It then goes on to say that "Applying a jumper to the outer-most pins of the jumper block will force the dreive into the 1.5Gb/sec transfer mode - allowing it to function on the above mentioned chipsets."

So do I need a jumper block and if so where do I get one?

2.  Also the Seagate Manual states ins Step 3 of the Single Drive installation:  " When prompted by Windows to install a third party SCSI or RAID dreiver, pres the "F6" key then the "S" key when, prompted, to specify additional drives.

When I do this I get a message telling me that I am missing OEM components.

Could someone tell me, step by step, what  I need to do get Windows up and running?

Thanks for the help.

6.4K Posts

July 15th, 2009 09:00

Your Dimension 8400 uses the Intel 925 family chipsets so you should not be having a problem with speed negotiation.  If you were, I would have thought that the report in your BIOS setup would have failed to properly report the type of drive.  If you would like to try to set the jumper, you need to look at the connector end of your new drive.  You should see a block of pins sitting alongside the connectors for the power and data connectors.  The drive vendors will often provide one jumper that can be used to change the drive settings if necessary.  It is rather small and I usually need needle nose pliers to remove it and place it across the correct pins.

The installation CD that ships with the computer normally has the SATA drivers slipstreamed into the disk.  This appears to be the case with the CD you are using since if your CD does not have the drivers you generally get a screen at the beginning of setup telling you that setup cannot find your hard drive.  If that were the case you would need to either change the setting of your SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA or make use of the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers that are found on the downloads page for the Dimension 8400.

If you are properly booting from the CD, and there are no smudges, fingerprints, or scratches on your installation CD, I don't understand why you see the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT message.  Remember that in order to boot from the CD, you must either use the F12 key during POST to bring up the one time boot menu, or you must set the CD ROM drive to be ahead of the hard drive in the boot order in system setup.  When you have correctly performed the boot by either method, you should see a message asking you to strike a key to boot from CD.  If you miss this message, or fail to press a key, the computer will attempt to boot from the next device in the boot order.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 15th, 2009 14:00

Wisent13

I installed 2 x Seagate SATA 2  [3.0gb] 320gb hard drives in my old 8400 and they are running fine without the Limit Data Transfer 'Jumper' installed.

The Seagate jumper block uses a 2mm jumper, you should find one at any local computer repair shop. 

If you have a spare IDE drive on hand, you can use the jumper from that.

Bev.

No Events found!