Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 01:00

Trying to restore Inspiron 530 Desktop back to factory settings (Vista)

Hi,

The title pretty much says it all, I have a Inspiron 530 that runs Vista Home Premium 32 bits and I was wondering how to restore my PC to factory settings. I have already all my stuff backed up on a External HD, I was ready to use the F8 way. Seems like the F8 and the Ctrl + F11 methods don't work. I happen to have a 10GB D:/ half full hard drive named Recovery drive though in which there's multiple folders like Program Files, Users, Windows, dell, sources etc.. there's also a file named PCRestore.exe under the Tools folder but when I run it (even admin mode), blank error windows appear midway..

Now I'd like to know what to do. I dug to find my Dell CDs, including driver installers, Vista installation ("already installed on PC" kinda thing) and Roxio etc. Do I just need to do the F12 method and boot with my Vista Installation CD, my Recovery HD or I don't know!

Thanks in advance!

2.2K Posts

January 16th, 2014 02:00

Hi Pwner1432,

Please refer to the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/K5wvcq

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2014 09:00

Will it simply reinstall Vista or set my whole computer to factory settings like desired?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 16th, 2014 11:00

Will it simply reinstall Vista or set my whole computer to factory settings like desired?

Pwner1432

The link provided gives the procedures for a 'Manual Reinstallation' of Vista and will not return the computer to it's factory settings.

This means that you will need to backup all the files and folders to other media, as they will not be saved.

The following link gives the procedures for' Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings'

If the above does not work, then the application is corrupt and you will need to use the Manual Reinstallation method.

Bev.

1 Message

March 5th, 2015 22:00

The F8 and F11 methods did not work for me either... I then tried pressing F1 repeatedly during bootup and the machine booted to a menu where I could select F8, which THEN got me to a menu which allowed the factory restore...

No Events found!