Kangaro_boy
1 Copper

RE: Turn your XPS 8700 into a solid mid-range gaming rig.

Oh I see. Anyway to modify it via the processor? Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
KX4DXRWW
1 Copper

I also picked up an XPS 8700. I changed PS to Corsair CS750M(fits perfect), added 8 more GB Ram(total 16GB), and then added NVidia GTX 770(also fits easily). So far so good!!!
ez2tan
1 Copper

I recently purchased the XPS 8700 thinking that the ram would run at the speed as advertised. Why would dell dumb down the speed?

-- 16 GB DDR3 Memory (4X4GB) 1600MHz

0 Kudos
fenoywb
1 Nickel

If the RAM in your system is DELL RAM and it isn't running at 1600MHz there's something wrong and my suggestion would be to contact Dell. Mine, with an additional 16GB of aftermarket RAM, runs at 1600MHz. There are earlier discussions on RAM specifications that run at 1600. For what its worth a key spec seems to be CAS latency CL-11. Crucial, I think, guarantees their RAM to meet system requirements. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
mackneasy
1 Copper

I just recently (literally 4 hours ago) put in an XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Full Modular PSU and I will say right now it was a PAIN. It's about an inch longer than the OEM PSU and didn't fit in the tabs that Dell put in specifically to fit their own product! Why you gotta make it so hard, Dell??

Anyway, it worked out. Soon I'm going to be buying a GTX 770 but the card I want is 11.5 inches in length. Anyone know if this will work well enough? The card that OP used is 10.25 inches, and if that's a tight fit I have no idea what 11.5 will be like.

0 Kudos
ez2tan
1 Copper

Hi,

luckily my antec 750 gold + non modular fit without any issues. I ended up putting a sapphire 290x tri force which is 12 inches long. You just have to put the gpu in at a downward angle towards the front of the case. With the 290x, my 6 and 8 pin barely fit before the metal structural piece by the hd bay. Good luck with the install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cactuspete1
1 Copper

Great post well written etc.   Now that it is 9 months later I wonder if the 'BIOS' version on the XPS8700 is better? (compatible with more video cards etc...) Not sure but I think there are more/different options or choices than there were last year.   I was very tempted to order one of the lower end XPS 8700 (to get Win 7) and then upgrade the RAM and HDD's myself......Instead I waited (and waited) now 8.1 Pro is out and available on the top end 8700 Special Edition that comes with 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD and 256SSD...and got it on sale ($300 off)  still pricey but lazy me doesn't have to upgrade all etc, probably just add another HDD or two..(not a big gamer so Video card upgrade not needed ...curious about installing the OS on the SSD, but few posts I have seen make it seem slightly painful, but those were older post where people had 8.0 and were trying to upgrade to 8.1.....I really wanted to avoid Win 8 as I like Win 7 but just started a new job with an 8.1 Windows laptop and think I will get used to it before too long. 

Just checking Dell US  vs. Dell Canada sites (I bought from Canada).....the US version of the Special Edition is approx $528 more than the Canadian one (whether not onale or both onsale same price difference)....only difference I can see between what I bought and the US one is the '2 year Enhanced' support and current special for the US one gives you option for free upgrade to a Creative Sound card......other than that seem like the same machine..

Anyway thanks for the great detailed post...

Hope to find more posts on the XPS 8700 re: HDD adding and installing OS on the SSD.

I had issue in the past getting Win 7 to recognize 3TB drive.....I know there are ways to resolve this just not sure which is the best....

Also looking for advice on what others do to restore/re-install......I'd prefer a disk image of my system once setup not sure what other options I should consider.....just want to avoid having to re-install all apps etc..

thanks again

pete

0 Kudos
ganto_1971
1 Nickel

I bought an xps 8500 plain. my upgrades consisted of an corsair neutron GTX 240 GB SSD. if your system is under warranty call DELL and have them send you the USB stick version to your OS. when I tried installing my OS on my SSD drive it tried installing from the last partition!! so if you plan on using a burnt image from your HHD forget it it will not work. some SSD drive come with software to clone the drives but that takes a while and you can still have problems. one post posted that they had problems with there psu being bigger that the OEM psu I put my 8500 in an corsair 800D case connected to a corsair gs 600 psu with a gtx 780 grapics card. I also put my hooked up an H100i to chill my cpu and it dropped the temps by 50- 60 degrees from what it was running with the junk intel stock cooler!! since the cpu was always running at 150 degrees constantly and it was slowing my pc down and making it stutter. I haven't did the ram upgrade yet i'm debating that one
0 Kudos
ganto_1971
1 Nickel

it also baffels me why they would put a high end cpu with a low end video card it seems unbalanced to me
0 Kudos
mp3masta
1 Nickel

How did this work for you and what did you buy....so I can do the same?

0 Kudos