Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MH

April 16th, 2015 07:00

Two NICs in an Optiplex 7010?

Hello,

We have a Optiplex 7010 running Windows 7 here which needs a second network port to connect to some machinery. In addition to the factory network port, someone has added another NIC card but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm trying to determine if the NIC is defective or if there's someting I need to know about installing in it the Optiplex. The link lights don't come on and it doesn't show up in Device Manager but when I look in the BIOS it does list "ethernet" in slot 2. I looked through the BIOS settings but only found the option to disable the onboard NIC, which we don't want to do becuase we need them both to work. I also checked the manufacturer's website and it looks like the NIC should be plug and play.

Everything else on the computer works fine. Is there anything else to check before deciding the card is bad?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 16th, 2015 08:00

In most machines there aren't enough IRQ's to handle this.  The way around that is to use a USB NIC that is either wired or wireless.  There is also a problem with PCI and PCI-E 1.0 cards that renders them useless on PCI-E  2.0 and 3.0 bus. This item is compatible with Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 and Mac OS 10.x, and it complies with IEEE 802.3/802.3u standards.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edimax-USB-2.0-Fast-Ethernet-Adapter/24262850

No Events found!