Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 13th, 2012 10:00

U2412M Flat Panel no widescreen resolutions when using DVI connector

Hi,

Just set up my new U2412M monitor but I have a problem. There are no widescreen resolution choices in the display properties settings dialog or the  Nvidia control panel. All I get are fullscreen resolution choices and the native resolution - 1920X1200. When I choose 1920X1200 the screen pans off the right side so that I can't even see the system tray. I would like to use 1440x900 or maybe 1680x1050 but they aren't even available to me.

Curiously (to me anyway), is that if I switch to using the VGA connector I get both fullscreen and widescreen resolution choices.

I would like to connect via DVI because my understanding is that it provides a better experience when using LCD flat panel monitors.

Is this purely a video card problem or should I be concerned about the monitor?

If anybody can point me in the right direction to solve this problem, I would be grateful.

WinXP SP3

evga Geforce 5200 FX 128 Mb video card w/ latest drivers installed

Dell U2412M monitor

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jim 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 13th, 2012 11:00

* Connect the U2412M via our DVI to DVI cable to the Geforce 5200 DVI port
* Change the desktop resolution to the default of 1920x1200@60Hz
* Press the 3rd button from the top on the U2412M to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Choose Other Settings- Factory Reset and Reset All Settings
* Choose Display Settings and change it to Wide 16:10
* Exit the OSD. Did it fix the panning?

10 Posts

February 13th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for responding so quickly Chris.

This did not fix the panning. Aspect was already set to 16:10 but I went through the motions anyway - no change.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

10 Posts

February 13th, 2012 12:00

I just discovered that if I move my mouse pointer to the right or left side of the screen the screen will reposition itself toward the opposite side. Pointer to right side - screen moves left and start button disappears. Pointer to left side - screen moves right and system tray disappears.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2012 06:00

I do not think the monitor is at fault. I think it is time I moved this to the Desktop - Video board to get their help.

10 Posts

February 14th, 2012 09:00

Thank you Chris,

I noticed in the OSD that even though the resolution was set to 1920x1200 it wasn't achieving that. The OSD listed the resolution as 1600x1200@50Hz. I found documentation on the Dell site for the GeForce 5200 and found this:

"DVI support for compatibility with next-generation flat panel displays with resolutions up to and including 1600x1200"

Odd though that it would not have the lower widesreen formats available. Anyway - so there we have it. Time to try my new HIS Radeon HD 4650 1Gb AGP video card.

Thanks for your help.

10 Posts

February 14th, 2012 10:00

Thank you for your input rdunnill. I appreciate it. Reviewers seem to really like this card - though I noticed a few had trouble installing the drivers and getting the sound to work (I personally am not interested in the sound). Seems HIS has a hotfix for this now. Was/is your card the HIS card and if so did you experience any installation problems?

Thanks again for your input.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 10:00

I used a 4650 AGP with a NEC 16:10 monitor at 1680 x 1050 with excellent results.

The 5200FX is an ancient design that predates widescreen monitors ... the "next generation" flat panels they had in mind likely used the standard 4:3 aspect ratio Thomas Edison designed for the first moving pictures.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 19:00

It was an XFX, but it has the same problem, which is that the AGP won't share an IRQ like PCI will, and thus the onboard HD audio device won't work.

This was several years ago, but I used the hotfix drivers and it worked well.

The 4XXX cards are the end of the line for AGP, unlike PCI (for which nVidia cards are still being designed). I think it's been a number of years since any new AGP boards were released to the market, but mainboards lacking dedicated video card slots are still being designed and sold, so the market for PCI video cards will continue for some time.

10 Posts

February 14th, 2012 20:00

I see. Well, hopefully this card will help me squeeze every last drop out of this old XP machine until I can afford a new machine. Thanks again for your help...

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 22:00

You're welcome!

No Events found!