Highlighted
hayder78
1 Nickel

U2718Q, GTX 1080, four monitors, when turned off, Windows moves open boxes

Hi

Windows detects when a monitor is turned off (in a multi monitor setup) and moves the applications outputting to this monitor to the other monitor, however in some situations, this is rather annoying.

Is there a way to turn this feature off, so that a program stays on the monitor.

Dell U2718Q Displayport

Nvidia gtx1080 Ti

Win 10pro 64

My older Dell monitor P2714H which was connected through the same cable and same port did not have this issue.

Does a firmware update fix this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Windows detects when a monitor is turned off in my new U2718Q

I have not heard of any firmware updates for this model. Even if there were, they are not customer accessible. A firmware update is only done in our service centers on New and returned monitors. The only way to get a monitor with updated firmware is via a used monitor exchange. But, an exchange is only setup if there is a monitor hardware failure. In your case, this is not a hardware failure. This sounds like an issue of 1920x1080 60Hz versus 3840x2160 60Hz.

I am not following. You mention a multi monitor setup and that the issue did not happen on the P2714H 1920x1080 60Hz. Yet you fail to mention what the second monitor (model, resolution?) was in that older setup or how it was connected to the GTX 1080?

Explain how both monitors (P2714H and ????) were connected to the GTX 1080 using which ports and which cabling.

Explain how both monitors (U2718Q 4K2K 3840x2160 60Hz and ????) are connected to the GTX 1080 using which ports and which cabling.

0 Kudos
hayder78
1 Nickel

Hi Chris,

The old 4 monitor setup was:

Dell             P2714H                                       (1920x1080 60Hz)    DislayPort

Samsung  SyncMaster 2033                      (1600x900 60Hz)       DislayPort to DVI converter

Samsung  SyncMaster 2033                      (1600x900 60Hz)       DislayPort to DVI converter

Samsung  40" TV                                          (1920x1080 60Hz)    DislayPort to HDMI converter

When I was turning off any or all of these monitors,  Windows (10 pro 64) will keep the opened windows, icons...etc at the same place.

New 4 monitor setup, is exactly with the same 3 Samsung monitors above. The only change was exchanging the old Dell P2714H  (1920x1080 60Hz) into U2718Q  (3840x2160 60Hz). I used the very same DisplayPort cable and the same old port of GPU.

Now when I turn off the Dell monitor, I will hear the sound of Windows that we hear when we  plug out any USB device and will see the windows that were there in the Dell monitor moved to one of the other three monitors. The other three Samsung monitors in the new setup still working fine and have no issue like that.

I have updated the Nvidia driver to the newest version with no luck. Installed the latest Monitor's driver also did not help.

0 Kudos

I do not think that this is a U2718Q hardware failure. I think this is either a windows 10 or Nvidia setting issue. I would not use the old P2714H DP to DP cable on the new U2718Q. I would be using the U2718Q DP to mDP cable (GTX 1080 DP out port --> U2718Q DP to mDP cable --> U2718Q mDP in port). Moving this thread to the Desktop Video board in hopes of getting users responses.

0 Kudos
hayder78
1 Nickel

RE: U2718Q, GTX 1080, four monitors, when turned off, Windows moves open boxes

I tried using the U2718Q DP to mDP cable, but the same issue.

I found a workaround which is not ideal, but better than nothing.

I set up the shortcut key of the monitor to switch to HDMI input, and this will make the monitor showing a progress bar for waiting 4 minutes as there is no HDMI input and then the monitor will sleep. Interestingly, Windows will not fail to detect the monitor neither when switching to HDMI nor when going to sleep. After sleep, the same button pressing three times then pressing Ok will switch back to mDP and every windows and shortcuts are just there without any problem.

However if the shortcut is setup to switch to DP instead of HDMI then windows will detect that the monitor is plugged out, but there is no USB plug out sound. So switching from mDP to HDMI is the workaround. I suspect with this discrepancy between HDMI and DP behaviour is that the fault is more likely from the Monitor side. Switching the monitor from a connected mDP into empty HDMI or into empty DP shouldn't give any difference to the GPU or to the OS.

Besides, this turned out a known problem with a lot of Monitors since 2010 (at least according to the below thread). The most successful hack on this thread was to cover the hot plug detection pin (19) in the HDMI by a tape. But of course this is too hacky and it is difficult for the DP or mDP cables.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral

0 Kudos